Title:
Congregational Church
Town:
Bradford
County:
Orange
State:
Vermont
Date:
1876
Description:
Stereoview shows construction of United Church of Christ, built 1876. The entire building, including the steeple is covered in scaffolding. There are men and ladders everywhere and the windows have yet to be installed. On the side of the building it appears they are putting up the wooden siding. Construction debris litters the ground near the building. Note the cleared land with wooden fences in the background on the hill to the left. A smaller white building stands behind this new church. Is that the old church building? Esther Munroe Swift: writes on 2006-7-14: This church still stands prominently in Bradford village. Some years ago the funeral for Mrs. R. DeWitt Mallory was held here. She was much beloved by all who knew her. And she was well known for her role in the Vermont Legislature. She also was one of the foremost collectors of Vermont books & Vermontiana. She left her vast collection the University of Vermont to be sold for the support of the University Library.
Filename:
LS03138_000.jpg
Size:
3520 x 1880 pixels; 4261379 bytes
Original Filename:
SV2082_.jpg
Keywords:
Building; Chimneys; Church buildings; Culture; Deciduous; Forests and Plants; Human Activity; Human Constructs; Living Things; Nature; People; Stone walls and fences; Trees; Women; Wooden fences; Work;
Source:
Special Collections, Bailey/Howe Library, University of Vermont
Submitted By:
Elizabeth Stanley Mann
Submitted On:
2004-06-10
Original Media:
Stereoview
Times viewed:
1648
Landscape Change Menu New Breed Marketing New Breed Marketing University of Vermont University of Vermont The National Endowment for the Humanities National Science Foundation Linthilac Foundation