You searched for: all images in the database. Here are the results:
Sabin Slate Quarry
- 1882 - 1903
- Workers load stacked slate onto the cars of a narrow-gauge railroad car while others split the slate into finer sections. Note they are posing with hammers held high ready to strike the slate and cleave it along natural planes of weakness. The hills in the background are largely treeless with scattered homes and a few conifers as well as a few isolated deciduous trees. Another set of rails leads off to the right. There is a building at the end of one set of rails. There are a few barrels as well as stacked slate in the background. The landform in the distance is flat-topped and has been incised by erosion. This could be a delta built into a glacial lake or a river terrace.
- 2298 x 1347 pixels; 1608294 bytes
- Original Filename:
- Business; Mining; Quarries; Houses; People; Railroad; Quarries and quarrying; Boys; Buildings; Conifers; Culture; Deciduous; Earth Materials; Erosion; Forests and Plants; Geology; Hills; Human Activity; Human Constructs; Industrial buildings; Landforms; Living Things; Machinery; Men; Mines and mineral resources; Mining machinery; Nature; People; Railroad tracks; Railroads; Rocks; Rocks,Sedimentary; Season; Slate; Slate industry; Soil erosion; Summer; Surface Processes; Time; Trees; Work;
- Vermont Historical Society
- Submitted By:
- Jens Hilke
- Submitted On:
- Original Media:
- Relative Dating Rationale:
- Sabin Slate Quarry founded in 1882, and all the equipment was auctioned off in 1903.
- Times viewed: