Title:
Engraving of Lake Willoughby and Lake House
Town:
Westmore
County:
Orleans
State:
Vermont
Date:
1854?
Description:
The historic image shows the lake and the adjacent cliffs. In the foreground are cleared fields surrounded by a wooden fence with several buildings at least one of which is a house possibly connected to two barns. Fighting bears are chained to a cut off tree in the left foreground with several people (4 men, one woman and a child) watching. There is a carriage drawn by a four-horse team on a dirt road approaching a hotel with a three-story porch on the right side of the image. There is a horse drawn wagon at the side of the hotel. Out in front of the hotel is a fountain, a horse with rider, and another cut tree with two bears chained to it, but this time one bear is climbing the tree while people look on. There is a gazebo on a small rise overlooking the lake to which a path winds and another small rise to the left where people are gathered. There are some cut stumps and what appears to be a rockslide off the shear cliff to the right which cleared a path through the trees covering the talus slope below. Esther Munroe Swift writes on 2004-12-26: The bears seen in this image depict a sad era of man's treatment of animals. (Note there are other images of chained bears in the archive). Even into my youthful years, often there were chained bears, taught to perform, as part of the shows that traveled from town to town. Sadly, Vermont and many other states were slow to follow New York, which in 1866 adopted a law at the urging of Henry Bergh (born 1813) to prevent such cruelty. England had adopted such a law in 1840 and Henry Bergh had met with the Earl of Harrowby, President of the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruel Treatment to Animals. The building shown in this image is that of the Willoughby Lake House in the town of Westmore. It was built in 1852 by Alonzo Bemis of Lyndonville. In 1853 a post office called Willoughby Lake was opened in the hotel. After all of the Bemis family were dead, the settlement was renamed just Willoughby. In 1904, the hotel closed and in 1909 the Willoughby name was given to South Barton. That post office closed in 1927.
Filename:
LS00770_000.jpg
Size:
2755 x 1335 pixels; 242955 bytes
Original Filename:
1229LAKE WILLOUGHBY 1854.JPG
Keywords:
Animals; Barns; Bears; Boys; Buildings; Commercial buildings; Conifers; Culture; Deciduous; Dwellings; Farm buildings; Forests and Plants; Geology; Girls; Grassland plants; Horses; Hotels; Human Activity; Human Constructs; Lakes; Landforms; Littoral plants; Living Things; Living things; Men; Mountains; Nature; Outbuildings; Outcrops (Geology); People; Plants; Recreation; Resorts; Roads; Roads,Earth; Season; Stone walls and Fences; Summer; Time; Transportation; Travel with horses; Trees; Wagons; Women; Wooden fences;
Source:
Special Collections, Bailey/Howe Library, University of Vermont
Submitted By:
Kara
Submitted On:
2004-01-12
Original Media:
Engraving
Times viewed:
4758
Landscape Change Menu New Breed Marketing New Breed Marketing University of Vermont University of Vermont The National Endowment for the Humanities National Science Foundation Linthilac Foundation