Looking on from S. Winooski Ave., this historic photograph gives a view of the newly paved Main St. In the left side of the frame, one can see the Strong Theatre advertising "PHOTOPLAYS DELUXE." In front of the theatre and the neighboring Chilton Paint Co., advertisements for Victor Hugo's "The Main Who Laughs" are posted on a telephone booth. Further on in the left side of the frame, beyond the U.S. Post Office and Customs Building, one can make out signs for various cafes and pharmacies. Among them are Arcadia Lunch and a Western Union. Alongside a few parked cars, multiple retail stores are visible on the right side of the street. At the corner of Church St., a sign reading, "SWEET SHOP" hangs off of building with the corner of City Hall visible in the background. Several vehicles are parked on the street. Wide sidewalks can be seen on each side of the street. Pedestrian crosswalk lines are pained in the street. Utility lines can be seen running overhead. Street-lamps can be seen all the way down Main St. Elm trees can be see in the background on the right side of the image. Mary VanBuren-Swasey writes on 2009-03-10:
Correct date is Oct 19, 1929. Also McAllister's embossed seal can be seen in the lower right corner.