Preparing Your Computer for the UVM Network
If you bring a computer with you...
You can avoid many potential problems by purchasing a computer through UVM, since we can best help you with a computer we've configured and are certified to repair. If you do bring a computer with you...
It should meet these specifications*:
- 2 GHz or faster processor (dual-core, 64-bit recommended)
- 4 GB memory (RAM); minimum 2 GB
- Windows 7 or OS X 10.6 or later
- Absolute minimum: Windows Vista Business or Ultimate, or Mac OS X 10.5
- Not recommended but minimally supported: Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 ; OS X 10.4
- Not supported: Windows 95, 98, 2000, Me, XP Home Edition, Vista Home; OS X 10.3 or below
- Network adapter (either or both):
- Ethernet network port, with minimum 10/100 mbps capability (Category 5, 5e, or 6 Ethernet cable w/minimum length of 25 feet recommended for use in residence halls.)
- 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless adapter recommended for laptops. (Wireless connectivity may not be available in all areas.)
- CDRW or DVD+/-RW Drive, or USB 2.0 port(s) to connect USB storage devices
* A computer meeting minimum requirements won't be sufficient for your entire degree program, though it should meet basic needs for the coming year. Consult your college or school for their recommended specifications.
Business Administration students, see www.uvm.edu/business/?Page=info/computerrequirement.html
College of Education and Social Services, see www.uvm.edu/cess/?Page=technology/lrp_faq.html
College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, see www.uvm.edu/~cems/?Page=current/compreqs_main.php
- You must install all security updates for your operating system www.uvm.edu/it/thescoop/faq.html#protect.
- Set your computer to install future updates automatically.
- Windows computers must have current virus protection. Update it and scan for viruses.
- Start by comparing your current virus protection software with that supported by UVM (www.uvm.edu/it/antivirus).
- If you're not running the supported antivirus software, we recommend that you uninstall your current AV client, and then download and install free virus protection software from www.uvm.edu/software.
- Adobe Reader (required by Windows to read PDF)
- Quicktime (required by Windows to play .mov and .mp4 video files)
- Firefox (recommended browser for the Blackboard learning system)
When you arrive on campus, you'll plug into the UVM network and register your computer.
Last modified June 11 2013 10:14 AM