Preparing Your Computer for the UVM Network
If you bring a computer with you...
You can avoid many potential problems by purchasing a computer through the UVM Bookstore's Tech Depot, since we can best help you with a computer configured for UVM and which we are certified to repair. If you do bring a computer with you, we recommend the following specifications*:
- Dual-core, 64-bit processor
- 4 GB memory (RAM)
- Windows 8.1 or 10, Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"; minimum: Windows 7 Pro or OS X 10.10 "Yosemite"
- Not recommended but minimally supported: Windows Vista Business or Ultimate, Windows 7 Home editions; OS X 10.8 - 10.9
- Not supported: Windows XP or earlier, Vista Home; Mac OS X 10.7 or earlier ; Linux
- Wi-Fi Network adapter for laptops
- 802.11b/g/n recommended. (Wi-Fi may not be available in all areas.)
- Ethernet port (optional)
- Ethernet cable minimum length of 25 feet if used in residence halls.
USB storage devices such as external hard drives or thumb drives are recommended. A built-in or USB CDRW or DVD+/-RW Drive is optional. Both are available at the Bookstore Computer Depot.
* A computer meeting minimum requirements for the recommended operating systems may not be sufficient for your entire degree program, though it should meet basic needs for the coming year. Consult your college or school for their recommended specifications.
Business Administration students, see www.uvm.edu/business/mobile_computing_requirement
College of Education and Social Services, see www.uvm.edu/cess/laptop_recommendation_information
College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, see www.uvm.edu/~cems/?Page=current/compreqs_main.php
- You must install all security updates for your operating system www.uvm.edu/it/thescoop/faq.html#protect.
- Set your computer to install future updates automatically.
- Windows computers must have current virus protection. Update it and scan for viruses.
- Start by comparing your current virus protection software with that supported by UVM (www.uvm.edu/it/antivirus).
- If you're not running the supported antivirus software, we recommend that you uninstall your current AV client, and then download and install free virus protection software from www.uvm.edu/software.
- Adobe Reader
- Quicktime (required by Windows to play .mov and .mp4 video files)
- Firefox (recommended browser for the Blackboard learning system)
When you arrive on campus, you'll plug into the UVM network and register your computer.
Last modified May 19 2016 04:45 PM