Where Can I Get Software?
Current UVM students, faculty, and staff have access to our UVM Software Download Site. This page contains links to most free or site-licensed and ETS-supported software installer packages. Additional installation and configuration documentation links are provided on that site. Owing to distribution and licensing issues, not all software packages can be made available in the download library. For information on these and other volume-licensed applications, see the UVM Software Licensing Pages.
The UVM Techstore (formerly the Computer Depot) will install Microsoft Office on all new Macintosh and Windows systems purchased through them by departments.
Microsoft Office 365 for Students and Grad Students:
In conjunction with the University's commitment to the Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (EES) program, all matriculated undergraduate and graduate students are entitled to a no-cost download of Microsoft Office 365 through Microsoft Student Advantage. This package will be available to you on up to five (5) devices while you're an active student enrolled at UVM and seeking a degree. To obtain Office 365, go to go.uvm.edu/getoffice. Students may purchase other Microsoft titles at substantial discounts through the Microsoft Select Program.
Microsoft Software for Faculty and Staff:
Faculty and staff are eligible to use popular Microsoft software at little or no charge to their departments. The Microsoft Enrollment for Education Solutions (EES) program provides the latest releases of the Windows operating system, Office for Windows or OS X, and other software for all University-owned computers at no charge.
Microsoft Office 365 is also available for staff and faculty for use on up to five (5) personally owned devices at no charge. To obtain Office 365, go to go.uvm.edu/getoffice.
The Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) also provides Office for Windows and OS X inexpensively for faculty and staff personal use at home, with an option to purchase physical media. The Home Use Program may be a better choice for someone who has a computer without broad-band Internet connectivity. See the link for details.
Please refer to our list of recommended and supported software when planning for software purchases. Most recommended software may be purchased from the UVM Techstore in the UVM Bookstore at special educational prices.
Computing software support standards for UVM are established by the IT Standards Committee.
Software Support Resources
- UVM Help Line
- Support for ETS-recommended software is available though the ETS Help Line. Help Line staff members will attempt to answer your questions over the telephone. For more complex problems, they will create a "problem ticket", and the issue will be assigned to higher-level support staff.
- Tech Team Computer Clinic
- Drop in, no appointment needed, for help with ETS-recommended software and supported computer hardware.
- CTL Doctor Is In Program
- The Center for Teaching and Learning provides one-on-one support for faculty in the use of classroom technologies. Help is available by appointment or during scheduled hours.
- Grossman School of Business Computing Help
- The School of Business has computer requirements and services which differ from the UVM standard. This site details those differences and provides help resources.
- College of Medicine Information Systems (COMIS)
- The College of Medicine hosts their own Information Systems department. Questions regarding software and services provided by the College of Medicine should be directed to their help desk at 656-7300
Other Software Resources
An unfortunate necessity for computer usage on the Internet today is antivirus software. New viruses appear daily. Some of these viruses are common enough to warrant special attention and documentation. Virus protection software is licensed by, and available from, ETS for your use at UVM. Don't lose valuable information and hard work by not having the latest protection software.
Last modified November 11 2016 10:25 AM