The Client Services Hardware team's primary mission is to the UVM community. This means that we only provide service to UVM affiliates. Non-affiliates, including parents, spouses and/or partners of affiliates must locate service providers in their local communities.
• Apple equipment that can be serviced through our facility is limited to laptops and desktops. iOS devices (iPad, iPod, iPhone, etc) must be sent to Apple by the customer directly, by contacting Apple through their support page (Apple Support).
• Dell equipment that can be serviced through our facility is limited to: Latitude, XPS (sold through the Depot only), and OptiPlex systems (including components purchased with a qualifying system). Dell Venue tablets have very limited availability for service, but we will do our best to help. All other models of Dell equipment that need repair should be initiated through Dell support (Dell Support).
• ETS Client Services is NOT responsible for any data loss due to any service procedure. The user is totally responsible for any and all necessary backup of important data, regardless of whether actual hardware repairs are necessary or not. The customer will agree to this, or that they have already backed up their data, or that they do not need any data backed up (and will assume responsibility for any loss).
• ETS Client Services is NOT responsible for any accessories or extraneous hardware left with the computer system unless it is immediately necessary to troubleshoot the presented problem. Plastic covers, cases, keyboard covers, cables, etc are all the sole responsibility of the owner and UVM will not be held accountable for loss or damage during any service procedure. AC adapters checked in with the computer will be recorded in the Work Order at the time of check in.
• The Client Services Hardware Team will NOT work on, or accept a service request for any equipment exposed to bodily fluids, regardless of warranty status. This is for the safety of our technicians and the greater UVM community. Should the customer's equipment require service, it will be the responsibility of the customer to request service directly from the manufacturer.
• Should the customer's computer require one or more parts for a repair, the Hardware team will contact the customer via the supplied information first with an estimate for the repair cost (parts, parts shipping, and labor) to get the machine up and going again. Should the part and/or repair be covered under the manufacturer's warranty or accidental protection plan, then we will continue with repairs.
• Any parts replaced under the manufacturer's warranty may be new or refurbished parts, provided by the manufacturer and are covered by the manufacturer's part warranty or for the remainder of the machine's warranty (whichever is longer).
• Any parts replaced for non-warranty work may be new or refurbished parts, and will carry a 30 day labor-only warranty in addition to a repair-part warranty, provided by the manufacturer/vendor. Parts will be sourced from the original manufacturer if possible within the best interests of our customer.
• We request ALL equipment be picked up from our repair center within 30 days of notification of repair completion. Any equipment left past 30 days, without prior written agreement, will incur storage charges ($5 per business day) that will be added to the bill and payable on machine pickup. If the customer cannot be reached or fails to pick up the equipment in question within 45 total days, then it will be considered abandoned. Once equipment is considered abandoned, then it becomes the property of Client Services and the University, to be used as spare parts or electronic waste for disposal/recycling.
• Not all services are covered under manufacturers warranties or damage protection plans. Some examples are (but not limited to): software problems, preventative maintenance, intentional damage, loss of data or use, 'no trouble found' situations. Accidental damage coverage is determined by the terms and conditions of said plan, and each manufacturer solely defines that coverage. The University is not responsible in any way for warranties or coverage of any equipment. It is the owner's responsibility to know the details, terms, and conditions of their warranty.
The ETS Hardware Team charges service fees for: repairs not covered by warranty, new hardware or software installation, out-of-warranty repairs, and other conditions as noted and quoted at the time of service.
Our standard hourly labor rate for non-covered repairs and services is $76 per hour with a minimum charge of half an hour. The table below reflects ballpark estimates. Exact labor, parts, and shipping (if necessary) quotes will be provided once a full assessment can be performed.
|Services Offered||Basic Description of Service||Estimated Time to Complete||Cost|
|Hardware Diagnostics||Run full set of manufacturer-provided scans. Also visual internal and external inspection to help determine potential cause of reported symptoms||30 min - 1 hour||$38 - $76|
|Part Upgrades / Installations||Install upgrade components such as RAM (memory), hard drives, SSDs, video cards, etc||30 min - 2 hours||$38 - $152|
|Out of Warranty service||Hardware repair of system when no longer covered by manufacturer's warranty (parts costs and shipping quoted separately)||1 hour +||$76 +|
|Repair storage fee||Hardware repairs left longer than 30 days will incur storage fees beginning on the 31st day, and will be ongoing until the machine is picked up or considered abandoned||N/A||$5 per business day beyond initial 30 calendar days|