University of Vermont

Informed Choice at The University of Vermont

Banner Navigation

Overview of the Informed Choice Site

In the world of employment, we encounter choices. Whether choosing a place to work, a retirement plan or a health care provider, we need information in order to make informed choices. Perhaps no choice in the workplace has more importance to you than the choice of whether to participate in forming a bargaining unit. This website is designed to provide you with information to help you think through your own decision and make an informed choice.

Your thoughts and questions are valued. If you wish to ask a question that isn't addressed on this site, click on “Submit a Question” in the main menu. Submitted questions (without any identifying information) will be considered for inclusion under the appropriate topic area. If you include an e-mail address, we will respond to you personally; if you don't include your name or e-mail address, your question will be completely anonymous.

Notice that there is a search box just under the banner above that will allow you to search just this website.

[Photo from UVM Campus]

Labor Petition Posted

The University of Vermont has received a Petition for the Election of a Collective Bargaining Representative, filed by the Vermont State Employees' Association (VSEA) on September 25, 2014. More information will be published here as it becomes available.

Recent Questions of General Interest

Non-exempt and professional staff are currently receiving correspondence, phone calls, and, in some cases, home visits from union representatives. These contacts have prompted additional questions from staff about union activities:

I am a non-represented staff member at UVM, why am I being approached by VSEA union representatives?

It is our understanding that VSEA, in partnership with United Staff, is seeking to promote interest in unionizing among UVM staff. The focus of their effort appears to be an attempt to organize a new bargaining unit composed of UVM clerical, technical and specialized employees.

I am not familiar with the VSEA. Do they have any relationship with the NEA?

No, the NEA is the National Education Association. The VSEA is the Vermont State Employees' Association and they are working in partnership with United Staff.

A union representative recently came to my home unsolicited. How did the VSEA representative get my name and address?

Under federal and state labor laws, UVM is required to provide names and employment-specific information that is a matter of public record, upon the request of the union; however, at this time the University is not providing home addresses. This information often can be easily obtained via the phonebook or Internet.

Is it true that non-represented employees receive different medical and parental leave benefits than represented employees?

This is not true. Both represented and non-represented full-time staff members receive the same medical and parental leave benefits.

It should be noted, however, that there is a difference between faculty and staff in the way that parental and medical leaves are accrued and managed. The difference stems largely from the semester-long nature of faculty teaching assignments and the way that teaching replacements for faculty on parental leave must be scheduled.


Contact UVM © 2014 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131