Jack Kent Cooke Scholarships
This newly expanded nationwide program awards up to 60 merit scholarships to seniors and recent graduates admitted to graduate school for the 2009-2010 school year. Scholars may use the Jack Kent Cooke to attend any accredited graduate school in the US or abroad to pursue any graduate or professional degree, in virtually any field. The scholarships cover tuition, living expenses, books, and other required fees for the length of the graduate degree program, up to six years.
To be eligible, you must have a GPA of at least 3.5. You will have to provide a graduate school acceptance and financial aid letters by May 11. International students are eligible.
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation identifies six criteria for selection of scholars:
- Academic ability and achievement
- Unmet financial need
- Will to succeed
- Leadership and public service
- Critical-thinking ability
- Appreciation for or participation in the arts and humanities
Please note that Cooke nominees are required to submit financial information for both themselves and their parents. Because of this, applicants who did not receive need-based financial grants while at UVM will not be nominated.
The internal application is due in the Honors College two days prior to the UVM deadline.
- A current, comprehensive resume, including employment, activities and honors. This need not be limited to one page.
- A 1-page description of your plans for graduate study and ultimate career goals, as well as how these relate to your undergraduate studies.
- Narrative of your personal, educational, and philosophical development (2 page max). Be sure to include information regarding any obstacles you have overcome in reaching your current position.
- List of all graduate programs to which you have applied and your current admissions status, as well as any other fellowships or grants you have applied for or received.
- The names of two professors willing to write letters of recommendation for you.
- A copy of your senior year financial aid award letter.
The Fellowships Committee will review submitted applications and will choose nominees.
The Cooke application consists of a lengthy Nomination Information and Application Form, downloadable from the Cooke website. In addition to a 2-page, single-spaced narrative autobiography, the application requires a great deal of financial information, along with short essays addressing a number of topics of general interest.
For More Information
Visit the official Jack Kent Cooke website.
Last modified October 19 2011 09:04 AM