Birthplace of the Electric Motor in 1834
By Prof. Thomas D. Visser
Historic Preservation Program,
University of Vermont
Summary of Findings
- Evidence suggests that the building under study was the workshop of Orange Smalley. It was probably built on his family's farm around 1830. At this time Orange Smalley was an 18 year old blacksmith and wheelwright living with his parents and siblings at the family homestead across the street.
- According Orange Smalley's own account, the shop was the site of the invention of the "electromagnetic engine" by him and Thomas Davenport in 1834. Thomas Davenport and his wife, Emily, a first cousin of Orange Smalley, moved to Forestdale from Brandon Village in 1832 to live at the farm of Emily's father, Rufus Goss. This farm abutted the Smalley farm. Shortly after Smalley and Davenport demonstrated their battery-powered electric motor publicly, the two men disagreed on how to continue. Davenport left Forestdale to refine the invention with the help of others. In 1837 he secured the United States patent on the "electromagnetic engine."
- No evidence has come to light which would support a theory that the building under study was moved from the Forestdale Iron Works site (known historically also as "Blake's Furnace"). 1
- The building under study was probably converted from a workshop to a residence after Orange Smalley sold it to John Day in 1851. Significant alterations were made to the first floor of the interior, however probably few changes were made to the second floor. Perhaps at this time or later, the exterior appearance was substantially altered with the addition of a two story ell on the rear and porches on the front and southwest side. Archaeological testing might reveal whether the basement was excavated in conjunction with these alterations or whether the basement is original to the building.
- By 1869, the building was the home of Harry H. Baker. It appears on the map of Forestdale included in the 1869 Beer's Atlas of Rutland County. The building is not shown, however, on the 1854 Scott map of Rutland County. Possibly it was considered an outbuilding of the Smalley farm complex on the 1854 map and therefore not illustrated.
- The marble monument commemorating Thomas Davenport was erected in the front yard in 1910 on an 8 foot square plot of land deeded to the Vermont Historical Society. The tablet on the monument does not mention Orange Smalley. The erection of this monument renewed a controversy over recognition for Smalley's involvement in the development of the electric motor. This controversy was further fanned by Sophia Smalley, the wife of Orange's grandson, who from the late 1920s through the 1950s, sought to prove the importance of Orange Smalley's role. She conducted extensive research on the history of the shop in association with Lawrence Chamberlain, a retired Wall Street broker. Sophia and Carver Smalley owned the building from 1941 to 1971.
- On the basis of these findings it is apparent that the Orange Smalley-Thomas Davenport Shop is historically significant for its association with the development of the electric motor at this site in 1834. The building contributes to the historic significance of Forestdale Village. The property has also gained significance over the past 82 years for its association with the monument erected on the property commemorating the invention of the electric motor and Thomas Davenport, who is generally recognized as the inventor.
- Since the research has found no evidence to support a direct historical association between the building and the Forestdale Iron Works, it would be inappropriate to remove the building to the Forestdale Iron Works site. The history of the Smalley-Davenport Shop is strongly tied to its location in Forestdale Village. The historical significance of both the structure and the village would be diminished by its removal.
- Since the building was substantially altered during the second half of the 19th century and little evidence remains of its original exterior appearance, restoration to an 1834 appearance would be very difficult. No photographic evidence of the pre-1850s appearance has been found. Therefore the preferable preservation approach would be to conserve the building as it now stands at its present location. Of the interior features, the second floor of the front section appears to be substantially original and should be preserved, while the first floor reflects both original features and later changes. In general the building is in good physical condition, although recent alterations to increase headroom above the front stairs may have reduced the strength of the frame. With adequate structural support, the building probably would survive being moved, although this is not advised based on the historical findings.
- According to a former owner of the building, Mary Kennedy, a missing or destroyed mid-19th century town record suggested that the building was moved, however the notation apparently did not mention from where it was moved. She also reports that some have suggested that the building may have been moved from the Brandon Iron Works site, but there is no known documentation to support this theory. Mary Kennedy, personal interview, 20 February 1992.
Back to report Table of Contents
To History of the Smalley-Davenport Shop
©1995 UVM Historic Preservation Program
Revised 10/23/95 by Thos. Visser