Though it has not been owned by a member of the Seymour family in the last one hundred and seventy years, number 404 Pearl Street, is still referred to as the Seymour House. The original occupant and builder of the house was Truman Seymour. In 1824 he acquired his little one acre parcel of land from Horace Loomis, a prominent landowner in Burlington. After residing in his modest two-story brick federal style home for a brief six years, Seymour sold his home. (1) A succession of owners have made additions to the back and west side, as well as a two-by-two bay addition topped with a second story porch. (2) These additions fit in well with the original character of the structure that appears on Amni B. Young's 1830 map of Burlington. (3) The original use of this structure as a one family home has been changed however. This home, along with many other structures along Pearl Street has now been converted into apartments.
Sources 1. David Blow, Historic Guides to Burlington Neighborhoods. Burlington: Chittenden County Historical Society, 1990. 2. Vermont Division for Historic Preservation, Vermont Historic Site s and Structures Survey. Burlington, 1990. 3. Amni B. Young, Plan of Burlington Village, 1830. Special Collections, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
Introduction | 1830 Young map | 1830-1988 overlay maps | Street index | Surviving 1830 buildings | UVM Historic Preservation Program