United States Department of the Interior

National Park Service

National Register of Historic Places

Continuation Sheet

Section number 7


Morrill Hall, 146 University Place, 1907.

Facing west, at the intersection of Main Street and University Place in Burlington, Vermont, the 1907, Neoclassical style building is home to the School of Agriculture and Life Sciences of the University of Vermont. Three stories in height, including a tall basement, it is rectangular with a widely overhanging, flared, and bracketed hipped roof of red Spanish tile. The building is faced with American bond yellow brick with a random rusticated rock faced sandstone ashlar foundation (with tinted mortar), and molded brick water table. The main block extends three bays to either side of the central pavilion. There are seven bays on the rear of the building and four on either end. All windows, except as noted, are paired, one-over-one, double hung with aluminum storm sash. Second story windows on the front façade and both ends have arched tops. Exterior sills are of terra cotta.

The front facing gable features dentils and modillion blocks and bears the Vermont state seal. The main entry of the front facade consists of a gabled projecting pavilion with the upper two stories forming a recessed portico flanked by two monumental, gray, polished, granite Ionic columns. Each column rests upon a one-story base and rises to nearly the top of the building and support the entablature upon which is inscribed Morrill Hall. Up five granite steps, the main entry contains a set of tall tripartite windows, with the outer windows half the width of the center, and corresponding transoms. A wrought iron railing provides a small, enclosed balcony.

The first floor is architecturally treated as a pedestal and is articulated by six projecting bands of five bricks each. Four foot wide brick pilasters are located at each corner plus beneath the eaves with supporting modillions recessed into the brick.

The ground level entry, on the south end, features paired raised wood paneled and glass doors flanked on the right by paired one-over-one windows. Entry and windows are sheltered by a bracketed pent roof. The rear of the building contains emergency exits on the center bay of the second and third story connecting to a fire escape. These doors are primarily glass with sidelights and transoms. There is also a handicapped entrance and a trash removal door with bracketed hoods adjacent to the brick chimney. Electric service enters the north wall near the rear.

Return to List of Buildings

Continue to Photograph