2013 Governor's Institute on Environmental Science and Technology
Welcome to the 2013 GIV eSAT webpage
The GIV Environmental Science & Technology institute focuses on providing high school students with hands-on experience in real-life environmental science, with an emphasis on how science and society interact. This year's institute will explore the air, water, and soil pollution in Burlington, Vermont. NEW THIS YEAR - free UVM college credits for students, click here to learn more
- Our schedule for the week is a full one. We'll start with an early breakfast and then spend our days collecting samples in the field and analyzing them in the lab. There will be a full day field trip to environmental facilities in Burlington and evening activities to cool off, have fun, and learn more about each other and science careers.
- Every day, we'll be posting photographs to the web of what we do. Each group will have its own high resolution camera that can also take video and if you are patient, use GPS to locate every photograph. These photographs are the record of our week together and provide images for the final reports and slide shows.
- You might enjoy videos of our daily activities. Every day, students and faculty will be taking videos of our activities, both work and play. We'll be posting the best videos daily to this web site. At the end of the week, we'll be creating a summary video that we'll also post.
- By week's end, each group will create a variety of products. At the end of the week, the three working groups will each prepare a powerpoint presentation of their findings, write press release and prepare a written summary of their data and interpretations.
- The GIV Environmental Science & Technology institute staff are all active environmental scientists. The staff are dedicated to doing and teaching environmental science. The three lead faculty all have their doctorates in science. Some teach at the College level while others work for the State of Vermont. The Assistant faculty are graduate students in science, all of whom have had rich and varied educational experiences.