How Students Meet the FWIL Requirement
UVM's requirement in Foundational Writing and Information Literacy (FWIL) affirms our long-standing commitment to writing throughout the curriculum, and throughout the disciplines. If you are an incoming, first-year student, you and your advisor should make sure you enroll in one of the following courses that will fulfill your FWIL requirement.
Courses in all three of these paths include practice in the 4 FWIL Learning Goals: rhetorical discernment, information literacy, critical reading, and substantive revision.
- If you are in the College of Arts and Sciences: you will be encouraged to take a TAP (Teacher Advisor Program) seminar in the fall or spring. All TAP classes fulfill the FWIL requirement. >> More Information
- If you are in the Honors College: you will register for HCOL85, The Pursuit of Knowledge, in the fall, and an additional HCOL86 seminar in the spring. Taken together, the sequence practices and reinforces the 4 FWIL learning goals. >> More Information
- If you are
anywhere else: you will register for ENGS 1, Written
Expression, in either the fall or the spring, whichever best
suits your schedule and your needs.
- If you are transferring to UVM from another institution: Transfer Affairs will conduct the first review of your courses to find equivalents for UVM's FWIL requirement. If their audit determines that you have not yet fulfilled the FWIL requirement, but you believe that one or more of your prior courses should qualify, please contact the FWIL Director, Libby Miles (Libby.Miles@uvm.edu). Please include the syllabus of the course you believe should fulfill FWIL. Responses generally take less than a week. Which section of ENGS 1 should you take?
- If you wish to enroll in a section specifically designed for speakers of other languages please enroll in an "A" section (e.g. A1, A2, A3, etc.). If you are unable to register in an A section but would like to, please contact Lise Larose for an override.
- If you do not wish to enroll in a section designed for speakers of other languages, please register for sections lettered B or above.
If you do not fall into any of these categories, please contact the academic advisor for your college, or Libby Miles, FWIL Director (Libby.Miles@uvm.edu)
Last modified November 08 2017 12:11 PM