Composting and Soil
Composting is a great amendment for soils, adding nutrients and improving soil structure. Since it breaks down over the year, it should be added to soils yearly. Compost is an easy way to recycle yard wastes without hauling them to a landfill. The procedure can be as simple or complex.
Find instruction on ...
Soil, fertilization and nutrient management
- Soil fertility, phosphorus index, constructed wetland research and more [Extension partner site]
- Soil and manure testing: Learn more from UVM's Agricultural and Environmental Testing Lab [Extension partner site]
UVM participates in eXtension: A national organization creating rich education for local Extension programs.
- Tips and instructions for making compost (PDF) Note: 2 pages, OH 88, 2008.
- Composting yard wastes: methods and materials for proper composting (PDF) Note: 2 pages, FS 174:4, 2001.
- Soil, compost and water from the Composting Association of Vermont
- Soil health and compost information [Extension partner site]
- Vermont DEC Compost Center: Backyard composting, on-farm composting, worm composting and more.
- Soil and composting resource area
- Extension's Master Gardener Program: Invaluable resources on composting. [Extension partner site]
Last modified May 26 2011 01:10 PM