Extension Associate Professor:
Farm Business Management Specialist
- (802) 751-8307 ext. 359
- 374 Emerson Falls Road, Suite 1, St Johnsbury, 05819-1740
Profile & Education
Dennis Kauppila predominantly works with farmers on their finances: working with them to create and understand a balance sheet and a cash flow budget. Focusing primarily on the eastern side of Vermont, he teaches a farm business planning course, and works with farmers who are in a grant program to write business plans. Dennis also serves on an advisory committee to the IRS, providing input on Publication 225, Farmer's Tax Guide.
- MS, University of Vermont - Ag Economics
- BS, University of Vermont - Animal Science
Areas of Expertise
Farm finances; Balance sheets; Budgeting; Farm transfer issues; Farm income taxes
- Parsons, B., Kauppila, D., Wang, Q. (2013). The Profitability of New England Organic Dairy Farms 2004-2011. Presented at 2013 Extension Risk Management Education Conference, 4/2013, Denver, CO. Juried.
- Kauppila, D. (2012, Nov 30). Scaling Up Sales to Institutions. Vt. Agency of Agriculture’s Agriview.
- Kauppila, D. (2012, August). Basis, a reviewed article on RuralTax.org website.
- Kauppila, D. (2012, July). What are deductible business expenses?, a reviewed article on RuralTax.org website.
- Kauppila, D. (2010). Balance Sheet/ Budgeting Clinics. NACAA, Presentation at Annual Meeting in Tulsa, Okla. Juried.
- Kauppila, D., Rogers, G., Parsons, R. (July 2010), Profitability of Organic Dairy Farming in Vermont, 2009, poster session, NACAA Annual Meeting and Professional Development Conference. Juried.
- Kauppila, D. and Rogers, G. (2010) Employment Documents for ALL Employees- Citizens and Non-Citizens Working on the Farm. Vt. Agency of Ag's Agriview./li>
- Kauppila, D. (2009) The Vermont Migrant Education Program. Hoards Dairyman.
- Rogers, G. and Kauppila, D. (Sept 2008), Improving Tax Practitioner Accuracy and Knowledge Through Extension Programming, poster session, Extension Galaxy Conference. Juried.
- Kauppila, D. (2007, 2008, and 2009, August). Contributor to National Income Tax Workbook, Land Grant University Tax Education Foundation.
Honors & Awards
- 2006 Sabbatical study leave, Dairy Budgets and Teagasc Management Info Systems, Ireland.
- 2005 Distinguished Service Award, National Association of County Ag Agents, Buffalo, July.
- National Association of County Ag Agents
- Balance Sheet/Budgeting Clinics
- Building a Sustainable Business - a farm business planning course
- Intro to Farm Financial Management
Last modified October 15 2014 01:26 PM