Extension Specialist: Maple & Farm Safety
- (802) 888-4972 ext.401
- 29 Sunset Drive., Ste. 2, Morrisville, VT 05661
Profile & Education
George has worked for UVM Extension at the Morrisville office since September, 1978, first as the Lamoille County Agricultural Agent and evolving over time as a statewide specialist for farm safety and maple production. His work addresses the needs and concerns of the agricultural population dealing with general farm safety issues, as well as disabilities that limit or interfere with farmers, their families and their employees from gaining or maintaining employment. These efforts also involve educational programming for youth through 4-H and discussion on a variety of maple industry issues with producers and public alike. A veteran EMT and firefighter, many of his skills support George's efforts with farm safety education. A small sugarmaker himself, he lives in nearby Hyde Park with his wife Dorothy.
- MAT, University of Vermont
- BS, University of Vermont
Areas of Expertise
Maple sugaring production, management and marketing; Farm Safety – for all ages; Emergency Medical Technician; VT AgrAbility (VocRehab for farmers), Roll-Over Protective Structures (ROPS).
Suggested Topics for Comment
VT AgrAbility Project (VocRehab for farmers), Roll-Over Protective Structures (ROPS); general farm safety issues; disabilities; educational programming for youth.
- North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual, North American Maple Syrup Council, 2006; author, "Safety in the Sugaring Operation Chapter"; co-author, "Maple Syrup Production Chapter"; co-author "Maple Sugarbush Lease Agreement"
Honors & Awards
- Sumner Hill Williams Award, 2009: For Lifelong Dedication to the Vermont Maple Industry
- Wallace Award, 2006, Vermont Farm Bureau: For Outstanding Lifetime Service to Vermont Agriculture
- Vermont Community Service Award, 2006, Vermont Secretary of State: For 30 years of service each to towns of Hyde Park and Morristown
- International Society of Agricultural Safety and Health (ISASH), formerly National Institute for Farm Safety (NIFS); Board of Directors
- National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA)
Last modified January 10 2014 09:10 AM