Natural Resources Specialist
Director of the Vermont Tourism Research Center
- (802) 257-7967
- 11 University Way, Suite 4, Brattleboro, VT 05301-3669
Profile & Education
Lisa Chase focuses on the intersection between community development and sustainable conservation. Hired in 2002 as a natural resources specialist, she concentrates on land use management as well as community development and tourism issues. As the Director of the Vermont Tourism Research Center since 2004, she emphasizes tourism and recreation in her programming. Current programs include agricultural and culinary tourism, recreation on public and private woodlands, and eco-labels for sustainable transportation.
- Ph.D, Cornell University
- MS, Cornell University
- BA, University of Michigan
Areas of Expertise
Community development, tourism and recreation, environmental conflict management
- Anderson, L, L.C. Chase, D. Kestenbaum, C. Mastrangelo. 2013. Eco-labels for passenger transportation: Understanding motorcoach company receptiveness to a pilot green certification program. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 7:125-142.
- Anderson, L., C. Mastrangelo, L.C. Chase, D. Kestenbaum, J. Kolindinsky. 2013. Eco-labeling motorcoach operators in the North American travel tour industry: analyzing the role of tour operators. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 21(5):750-764.
- Chase, L.C., B. Amsden, and D. Kuehn. 2013. Measuring quality of life: A case study of agritourism in the Northeast. Journal of Extension 51(1):1FEA3.
- Daigle, J.J., L. Utley, L.C. Chase, W. Kuentzel, and T.L. Brown. 2012. Does new large private landownership and their management priorities influence public access in the Northern Forest? Journal of Forestry 110(2):89-96.
- Pollock, N., L.C. Chase, C. Ginger, and J. Kolodinsky. 2012. The Northern Forest Canoe Trail: Economic impacts and implications for community development. Community Development: Journal of the Community Development Society, 43(2):244-258.
- Chase, L.C, R. Boumans, and S. Morse. 2010. Participatory modeling as a tool for community development planning: Tourism in the northern forest. Community Development: Journal of the Community Development Society, 41(3):385-397.
- Chase, L.C. and D. Kuehn. 2010. Measuring outcomes of Extension conferences: A case study of the National Extension Tourism Conference. Journal of Extension 48(3):3FEA6.
- Chase, L.C. 2008. Agritourism. Pages 70-74 in Gary A. Goreham (ed.), Encyclopedia of Rural America: The Land and People, 2nd edition Grey House Publishing, Millerton, NY.
- Chase, L.C., K. Norris, and C. Ginger. 2008. Does science matter? Resource planning in the Green Mountain National Forest. Society and Natural Resources 21(4):345-353.
- Chase, L.C. 2006. Targeted marketing: Lessons from an agri-tourism enterprise. Journal of Extension 44(2):2RIB2.
- National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals
- National Extension Tourism Design Team
- International Association for Society and Natural Resources
- American Association for University Women
- Vermont Travel Industry Conference
- Risk Management for Agritourism and Culinary Tourism
- Vermont Trail Collaborative Stakeholder Meetings
- Website Tools for Farms
- Recreation on Private Lands
- National Extension Tourism Conference
Last modified February 10 2014 09:53 AM