We’ve created a new page dedicated to our cover crop work! See: http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoil/covercrops
Nutrient Management Planning Information
View our NMP Course Information flyer to find out about our NMP course and when it will be offered again.
This training manual has been developed by University of Vermont Extension to facilitate the instruction of a nutrient management course for livestock farmers. During the course, farmers learn to develop and implement their own nutrient management plans, and gain an understanding of how their plans were put together, and the importance of nutrient management planning from both economic and environmental perspectives.
The course aims to provide a comfortable, small-group, learning opportunity for the farmers. Once the course is finished, class participants will have generated nutrient management plans following Vermont’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) 590 Nutrient Management Standard. A multi-agency educational team conducts the program. The course is taught over a five-week period with participants attending a three-hour session each week. The farmers will spend approximately fifteen hours in classroom instruction and activities to estimate annual animal manure quantities, document and plan crop rotations, identify fields with manure spreading restrictions, analyze soil test reports, and calculate on-farm nutrient credits for animal manure and legumes. Farmers will also spend an estimated twenty hours at home writing their nutrient management plans. This guide is designed to present some of the instruction that is given in the course. In addition, it gives instructions on how to use the UVM Extension Nutrient Management web application, goCrop and the accompanying mobile app for record keeping.
- UVM Extension Vegetable Nutrient Management Computer Workbook — This is an Excel file that will work on computers with Microsoft Excel 1997–2003 or newer versions.
- Instructions for Creating a Vegetable/Fruit Nutrient Management Plan
- Nutrient Management on Organic Vegetable Farms- Fertility Sources by Wendy Sue Harper, NOFA-VT Vegetable and Fruit Technical Assistance Advisor
- Vegetable/ Fruit Nutrient Management Checklist
*This information is a work in progress please check back periodically for future updates.
- Effectiveness of Nutrient Management Plans on Vermont Dairy Farms by Heather Darby, Philip Halteman and Debra Heleba, published in the Journal of Extension in April 2015.
- Glucosinolate Mustard as a Biofumigant in Vegetable Systems (YouTube video), April 2016.
- Nutrient Management Planning (YouTube video), 2010.
- What Nutrient Management Planning Means to Dairy Farmers (YouTube video), 2009.
- Adapt-N: A tool for adaptive nitrogen management in corn (webinar recording) Cornell University online training session, April 5, 2012. As a result of this training, UVM Extension’s Northwest Crops and Soils Team is implementing several on-farm trials in conjunction with Cornell to provide the Adapt-N team with valuable Vermont data.
- Manage Nutrients Efficiently to Offset High Fertilizer Prices (pdf) by Heather Darby
- Maximizing Manure Nitrogen (pdf) by Heather Darby
- 2015 Cover Crop Mix in Corn Silage Trial (pdf)
- 2015 Oilseed Meal as a Fertility Amendment in Sweet Corn (pdf)
- 2015 Pasture Productivity Trial (pdf)
- 2015 Vegetable Fertility Management Trial (pdf)
- 2014 Enhancing Forages with Nutrient Dense Sprays Report (pdf)
- 2014 Impact of High Glucosinolate Mustard Soil Amendments on Black Bean Yield (pdf)
- 2014 Late Summer Cover Crop Trial (pdf)
- 2014 Tillage Radish Planting Date Trial (pdf)
- 2014 Tillage Radish Seeding Rate Trial (pdf)
- 2013 Cover Crop Planting Date x Seeding Rate Trial (pdf)
- 2013 Nutrient Dense Spray Report (pdf)
- 2012 Cover Crop Planting Date X Seeding Rate (pdf)
- 2012 Cover Crop Termination and Reduced Tillage Study (pdf)
- 2012 Nutrient Dense Spray Report (pdf)
- Cover Crop Planting Date X Seeding Rate 2010 (pdf)
- Cover Crop Termination Study 2010 results (pdf)
- Cover Crop Termination Study 2009 results (pdf)
- 2009 Oilseed Meal Report