Intro to Organic Farming | eOrganic | Organic Cropping Systems Research | Videos | Photos
INTRODUCTION TO ORGANIC FARMING
Organic farming is a prevalent sector of New England agriculture. Certified organic agriculture requires special management considerations to respond to standards developed by the USDA National Organic Program. Our program works with organic farmers on outreach programs both at the local and national levels. Our organic dairy research is conducted on-farm and has focused on annual crop production, including variety selections and evaluation of agronomic practices like specialized tillage and roller crimping.
We help lead eOrganic, a national online community of more than 1200 ag service providers and farmers who are providing science-, experience-, and regulation-based certified organic information on the web. Specifically, we lead eOrganic’s Dairy Team where we develop articles, videos, online courses, and webinars on certified organic dairy farming topics. To see our published content, go to: eXtension.org/organic_production.
ORGANIC CROPPING SYSTEMS RESEARCH
Listed below are our most recent research reports. Please find additional research reports here.
- 2012 Vermont Organic Corn Silage Performance Trial Results (pdf)
- 2012 Forage Brassica Variety Trial (pdf)
- 2012 Summer Annual Variety Trial (pdf)
- 2012 Summer Annual x Fertility Rate (pdf)
- 2012 Organic Spring Wheat Weed Control Strategies (pdf)
- 2012 Effects of Topdressing Organic Nitrogen (pdf)
- 2012 Organic Soybean Variety Trial (pdf)