View this page for upcoming Events as well as conference proceedings of past events.
New and Recent Events
We are currently planning our events for 2016. Here are some highlights:
- Nutrient Management Planning classes in January and February.
- Attending the Vermont Farm Show from January 26 – 28, 2016. Hope to see you there!
- Crop, Soil & Dairy Meeting — planning for January.
- No-Till & Cover Crop Conference (with the Champlain Valley Crops, Soils and Pasture Program) — planning for mid-February.
- Annual Hop Conference – planning for mid-February.
- Vermont Organic Dairy Producers Conference (with NOFA-VT) – planning for early March.
- Annual Grain Growers Conference – planning for mid-March.
Please be sure to check back soon as conference dates and details become confirmed.
PAST 2015 Events
We held several Cover Crop Field Days in the Fall.
October 27, 1pm to 3:30pm, Borderview Research Farm, Alburgh, VT
October 28, 10am to 3pm, Middlebury American Legion and Foster Brothers Farm
Nov. 4, 1pm to 3pm, Senesac Farm (Cottonwood Stables), Thibault Farm and Fitzgerald Farm in Colchester, VT
Ben & Jerry’s Caring Dairy also hosted a dinner and soil health talk and discussion with Ray Archuleta on October 27th, 6pm to 8:30pm at The Abbey Restaurant & Pub in Sheldon.
Together, NWCS and NOFA-VT collaborated on the following 2015 Summer Organic Dairy Series – Strategies for Success events.
Hop Harvesting Field Day.
When: Friday, September 11, 2015, 1pm to 3pm Where: Borderview Farm, 146 Line Road, Alburgh, VT 05440
After touring the UVM hop yard and taking down many hop vines, there were demonstrations using the UVM hop harvester as well as the hop harvester from hopsharvester.com. UVM staff also demonstrated using the UVM built hop baler and hop oast. Information on drying hops was also shared.
2015 Growing Dry Beans in Vermont.
When: Thursday, September 10, 2015 Where: Morningstar Meadows Farm, 170 Dwinell Drive, Glover, VT
Following are some of the field day handouts specific to dry beans:
Map of Dry Bean Planting Date Trial
Map of Heirloom Dry Bean Variety Trial
Seed Sources for Heirloom Dry Beans
Growing Dry Beans: A Vermont Tradition
A 2015 Summer Soil Health Field Day was held on August 21, 2015 at the Gervais Family Farm No. 2 in Enosburg Falls. This was a Free event with lunch sponsored by Champlain Valley Equipment and collaborated by UVM Extension Northwest Crops and Soils Program (NWCS), Friends of Northern Lake Champlain (FNLC), and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to learn more about soil health, cover cropping, no-till, and manure management.
11th Annual Grain Growers Conference, March 18, 2015, The Essex Resort, Essex, VT.
Vermont Organic Dairy Producers Conference, March 11, 2015, Vermont Technical College, Randolph Center, VT.
Winter Meeting at Champlain Valley Equipment, March 4, 2015, St. Albans, VT. Hosted by NWCS and Friends of Northern Lake Champlain (FNLC).
6th Annual Hops Conference, February 20, 2015, Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center, Burlington, VT.
- As mentioned at the 2015 Hop Conference by Steve Polewacyk from Vermont Pub and Brewery, you can access the Hop Evaluation Excel sheet here.
- Proceedings from the 6th Annual Vermont Hop Conference are now available online. The online proceedings include video recordings and PDFs of all conference presentations. They can be accessed for a one-time fee of $35 at eXtension’s Online campus at:http://campus.extension.org. If you have not yet been to this site, you will need to create an account. To do so, on the left bar under “Login,” click on “Create new account.” You will need to complete some basic information and confirm your account via email. Once you have created an account, you may enroll in the proceedings by going to http://campus.extension.org/course/view.php?id=1131. You will enter your payment into eXtension’s PayPal system.
2015 No-Till and Cover Crop Symposium, February 19, 2015, Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center, Burlington, VT.
Northwest Crop, Soil and Dairy Meeting: Tile Drainage, January 20, 2015, American Legion, St. Albans, VT.
- The Benefits of Tile Drainage, Steve Mahoney, River Bend Farm Agriculture and Environmental Services.
- Nuts and Bolts of Tile Drainage Systems and Basics to Tile Maintenance, Larry Brown, Ohio State University.
- Drainage Water Management for the Midwest Fact Sheet.
- Tile Drainage Research at the Miner Institute, Eric Young, Miner Institute.
- Tile Drainage Research in Wisconsin, Matt Ruark, University of Wisconsin.
- Tile Drainage in Wisconsin Fact Sheet.
- Designing and Constructing Bioreactors to Reduce Nitrate Loss from Subsurface Drains Fact Sheet.
- Woodchip BioReactor for Nitrate in Agricultural Drainage Fact Sheet.
- USDA Conservation Fact Sheet: Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Compliance
- USDA Wetland Conservation Provisions
- USDA Annual and Perennial Crop List for the Purpose Conservation Compliance.
- USDA FAQ: Conservation Compliance
To see our past events, please click here to view Archived Conferences and Events.