View this page for upcoming Events as well as conference proceedings of past events.
New and Recent Events
- 8/4/16, Integrating Irrigation into your Grazing System, Elysian Fields, Shoreham, VT
- 8/16/16, Calf Care, Herd Health, and Farm Management with Dr. Guy Jodarski, Franklin Farm, Guilford, VT
- 8/17/16, Calf Care, Herd Health, and Farm Management with Dr. Guy Jodarski, Bitter Sweet Valley Farm, East Fairfield, VT
- 9/8/16, Organic Dairy – Infrastructure and Pasture Management, Deberville Dairy, Washington, VT 05675
Thursday, August 18, 2016 – Hopping and Milling About at Four Star Farms in Northfield, MA. Join us to talk about hops in the morning and tour the yards. UVM will bring along their Hopster 5P harvester as well. After lunch, we will talk about grains processing from field to flour. Cost is $25 per person and includes lunch. Click here to register.
Thursday, August 25, 2016 – Conservation Farm Practices in the Bay at Bess View Farm in St. Albans Bay. Join NWCS, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and the Bessette’s at their Brady Farm site located at 70 Lord Road, Swanton to learn how farmers are applying conservation practices to improve water quality in the St. Albans Bay. The event is free, please register online at Bessviewfarmfieldday.eventbrite.com or call Susan at 802-524-6501.
Thursday, September 1, 2016 – Successfully Starting a Hop Yard at Homestead Hops in Starksboro, VT. Join us to learn about the investments, challenges, and experiences in starting a hop yard. Highlights include an irrigation pond, fertilizing and equipment (including air blast sprayer). No cost to attend, but please pre-register here.
Thursday, July 14, 2016 – Grains & Dry Beans in Vermont at Morningstar Meadows Farm in Glover, VT, 10:30am to 2:30pm. Join us at Seth and Jeannette Johnson’s farm to see and talk about both grain and dry bean trials. You will hear about heirloom variety assessment, understanding disease and insect issues, and developing planting date and seeding rate recommendations. You will also learn about dry bean seed saving, proper harvesting, cleaning, and storage techniques.
PAST 2016 Events
Organic Grain Workshops
The University of Vermont Extension Northwest Crops and Soils Program (NWCS), Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont (NOFA-VT), King Arthur Flour (KAF), and Northern Grain Growers Association (NGGA) are collaborating to bring you some Organic Grain Workshops this summer. Click on the field day title to view the detailed information, including how to register.
Great event and weather for a field day! The Rogers discussed starting a farm business, sourcing equipment, and small grain productions and processing.
Toured over 1,000 plots of wheat, barley, oats, heirlooms, and dry beans. Saw trials on evaluating biocontrol of head blight, organic weed control strategies, green manure underseeding, and winter barley planting date and fertility studies. Also saw the new band seeder equipment.
Le Moulin des Cedres is a certified organic farm that grows grain, soy, and oil seed for market and Red Hen Bakery in Vermont. We toured the facility and some fields and Loic shared information on the methods and equipment required to produce a good quality wheat crop, as well as how to transform the crop into nice, unique flour.
Soil Aeration Field Day – In collaboration with Heather Darby and Jeff Sanders of the University of Vermont Northwest Crops & Soils Program, the Orleans County Natural Resource Conservation District (OCNRCD) is hosted a Soil Aeration Field Day in Westfield, VT on May 3, 2016.
If you have general questions about soil aeration and using an aerator, feel free to contact our UVM Extension Office at 802-524-6501. Ask for Jeff Sanders, Heather Darby or Susan Brouillette.
- Nutrient Management Planning classes in January and February – had over 60 farm attend and complete NMPs.
- No-Till & Cover Crop Conference (click to go to the registration site) – Wednesday, February 17, 2016, Sheraton Hotel, Burlington, VT
- Annual Hop Conference – Friday, February 19, 2016 at Hampton Inn Vermont Event Center, Colchester, VT. View the detailed agenda here.
- Crop, Soil & Dairy Meeting – St. Albans. CANCELED this year.
- VT Organic Dairy Producers Conference (with NOFA-VT) – Thursday, March 10, 2016, Vermont Technical College, Randolph, VT.
- Annual Grain Growers Conference – Thursday, March 17, 2016, The Essex Resort, Essex, VT.
PAST 2015 Events
We held several Cover Crop Field Days in the Fall.
October 27, 1pm to 3:30pm, Borderview Research Farm, Alburgh, VT
October 28, 10am to 3pm, Middlebury American Legion and Foster Brothers Farm
Nov. 4, 1pm to 3pm, Senesac Farm (Cottonwood Stables), Thibault Farm and Fitzgerald Farm in Colchester, VT
Ben & Jerry’s Caring Dairy also hosted a dinner and soil health talk and discussion with Ray Archuleta on October 27th, 6pm to 8:30pm at The Abbey Restaurant & Pub in Sheldon.
Together, NWCS and NOFA-VT collaborated on the following 2015 Summer Organic Dairy Series – Strategies for Success events.
Hop Harvesting Field Day.
When: Friday, September 11, 2015, 1pm to 3pm Where: Borderview Farm, 146 Line Road, Alburgh, VT 05440
After touring the UVM hop yard and taking down many hop vines, there were demonstrations using the UVM hop harvester as well as the hop harvester from hopsharvester.com. UVM staff also demonstrated using the UVM built hop baler and hop oast. Information on drying hops was also shared.
2015 Growing Dry Beans in Vermont.
When: Thursday, September 10, 2015 Where: Morningstar Meadows Farm, 170 Dwinell Drive, Glover, VT
Following are some of the field day handouts specific to dry beans:
Map of Dry Bean Planting Date Trial
Map of Heirloom Dry Bean Variety Trial
Seed Sources for Heirloom Dry Beans
Growing Dry Beans: A Vermont Tradition
A 2015 Summer Soil Health Field Day was held on August 21, 2015 at the Gervais Family Farm No. 2 in Enosburg Falls. This was a Free event with lunch sponsored by Champlain Valley Equipment and collaborated by UVM Extension Northwest Crops and Soils Program (NWCS), Friends of Northern Lake Champlain (FNLC), and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to learn more about soil health, cover cropping, no-till, and manure management.
11th Annual Grain Growers Conference, March 18, 2015, The Essex Resort, Essex, VT.
Vermont Organic Dairy Producers Conference, March 11, 2015, Vermont Technical College, Randolph Center, VT.
Winter Meeting at Champlain Valley Equipment, March 4, 2015, St. Albans, VT. Hosted by NWCS and Friends of Northern Lake Champlain (FNLC).
6th Annual Hops Conference, February 20, 2015, Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center, Burlington, VT.
- As mentioned at the 2015 Hop Conference by Steve Polewacyk from Vermont Pub and Brewery, you can access the Hop Evaluation Excel sheet here.
- Proceedings from the 6th Annual Vermont Hop Conference are now available online. The online proceedings include video recordings and PDFs of all conference presentations. They can be accessed for a one-time fee of $35 at eXtension’s Online campus at:http://campus.extension.org. If you have not yet been to this site, you will need to create an account. To do so, on the left bar under “Login,” click on “Create new account.” You will need to complete some basic information and confirm your account via email. Once you have created an account, you may enroll in the proceedings by going to http://campus.extension.org/course/view.php?id=1131. You will enter your payment into eXtension’s PayPal system.
2015 No-Till and Cover Crop Symposium, February 19, 2015, Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center, Burlington, VT.
Northwest Crop, Soil and Dairy Meeting: Tile Drainage, January 20, 2015, American Legion, St. Albans, VT.
- The Benefits of Tile Drainage, Steve Mahoney, River Bend Farm Agriculture and Environmental Services.
- Nuts and Bolts of Tile Drainage Systems and Basics to Tile Maintenance, Larry Brown, Ohio State University.
- Drainage Water Management for the Midwest Fact Sheet.
- Tile Drainage Research at the Miner Institute, Eric Young, Miner Institute.
- Tile Drainage Research in Wisconsin, Matt Ruark, University of Wisconsin.
- Tile Drainage in Wisconsin Fact Sheet.
- Designing and Constructing Bioreactors to Reduce Nitrate Loss from Subsurface Drains Fact Sheet.
- Woodchip BioReactor for Nitrate in Agricultural Drainage Fact Sheet.
- USDA Conservation Fact Sheet: Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Compliance
- USDA Wetland Conservation Provisions
- USDA Annual and Perennial Crop List for the Purpose Conservation Compliance.
- USDA FAQ: Conservation Compliance
To see our past events, please click here to view Archived Conferences and Events.