View this page for upcoming Events as well as conference proceedings of past events.
New and Recent Events
Webinar Series – Coffee Break for Cover Crops. Join us for five (5) 30-minute (9 to 9:30am) webinars on cover cropping – 4/27, 5/4, 5/11, 5/18 & 5/25. Free webinars with the opportunity to win a free cup of joe! Register at go.uvm.edu/coffeebreakforcovercrops.
Soil Aeration Field Day – In collaboration with Heather Darby and Jeff Sanders of the University of Vermont Northwest Crops & Soils Program, the Orleans County Natural Resource Conservation District (OCNRCD) is hosting a Soil Aeration Field Day in Westfield, VT.
Soil Aeration Field Day, Tuesday, May 3rd, 11am to 2pm., Lunch Provided -
Join Jacques Couture; OCNRCD Manager, Sarah Damsell; UVM’s Heather Darby and Jeff Sanders; AerWay equipment representative, Eben Weil and other farmers for a field day focused on alternative manure application systems. We’ll discuss agronomics and nutrient management benefits, tips for use, equipment and learn about The Orleans County Conservation District aerator equipment rental program. Experience the AerWay machine to reduce compaction while increasing soil health and crop yields by improving water and nutrient filtration. We will have information on program resources and incentives payments available to you. Field day will be at Missisquoi Valley Farm, 560 VT Rte 100, Westfield, VT. Please RSVP with Sarah Damsell at 334-6090 x118.
If you have general questions about soil aeration and using an aerator, feel free to contact our UVM Extension Office at 802-524-6501. Ask for Jeff Sanders, Heather Darby or Susan Brouillette.
We will be planning our summer and fall events and will list them as they are scheduled. Check back often for updates!
PAST 2016 Events
- Nutrient Management Planning classes in January and February – had over 60 farm attend and complete NMPs.
- No-Till & Cover Crop Conference (click to go to the registration site) – Wednesday, February 17, 2016, Sheraton Hotel, Burlington, VT
- Annual Hop Conference – Friday, February 19, 2016 at Hampton Inn Vermont Event Center, Colchester, VT. View the detailed agenda here.
- Crop, Soil & Dairy Meeting – St. Albans. CANCELED this year.
- VT Organic Dairy Producers Conference (with NOFA-VT) – Thursday, March 10, 2016, Vermont Technical College, Randolph, VT.
- Annual Grain Growers Conference – Thursday, March 17, 2016, The Essex Resort, Essex, VT.
PAST 2015 Events
We held several Cover Crop Field Days in the Fall.
October 27, 1pm to 3:30pm, Borderview Research Farm, Alburgh, VT
October 28, 10am to 3pm, Middlebury American Legion and Foster Brothers Farm
Nov. 4, 1pm to 3pm, Senesac Farm (Cottonwood Stables), Thibault Farm and Fitzgerald Farm in Colchester, VT
Ben & Jerry’s Caring Dairy also hosted a dinner and soil health talk and discussion with Ray Archuleta on October 27th, 6pm to 8:30pm at The Abbey Restaurant & Pub in Sheldon.
Together, NWCS and NOFA-VT collaborated on the following 2015 Summer Organic Dairy Series – Strategies for Success events.
Hop Harvesting Field Day.
When: Friday, September 11, 2015, 1pm to 3pm Where: Borderview Farm, 146 Line Road, Alburgh, VT 05440
After touring the UVM hop yard and taking down many hop vines, there were demonstrations using the UVM hop harvester as well as the hop harvester from hopsharvester.com. UVM staff also demonstrated using the UVM built hop baler and hop oast. Information on drying hops was also shared.
2015 Growing Dry Beans in Vermont.
When: Thursday, September 10, 2015 Where: Morningstar Meadows Farm, 170 Dwinell Drive, Glover, VT
Following are some of the field day handouts specific to dry beans:
Map of Dry Bean Planting Date Trial
Map of Heirloom Dry Bean Variety Trial
Seed Sources for Heirloom Dry Beans
Growing Dry Beans: A Vermont Tradition
A 2015 Summer Soil Health Field Day was held on August 21, 2015 at the Gervais Family Farm No. 2 in Enosburg Falls. This was a Free event with lunch sponsored by Champlain Valley Equipment and collaborated by UVM Extension Northwest Crops and Soils Program (NWCS), Friends of Northern Lake Champlain (FNLC), and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to learn more about soil health, cover cropping, no-till, and manure management.
11th Annual Grain Growers Conference, March 18, 2015, The Essex Resort, Essex, VT.
Vermont Organic Dairy Producers Conference, March 11, 2015, Vermont Technical College, Randolph Center, VT.
Winter Meeting at Champlain Valley Equipment, March 4, 2015, St. Albans, VT. Hosted by NWCS and Friends of Northern Lake Champlain (FNLC).
6th Annual Hops Conference, February 20, 2015, Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center, Burlington, VT.
- As mentioned at the 2015 Hop Conference by Steve Polewacyk from Vermont Pub and Brewery, you can access the Hop Evaluation Excel sheet here.
- Proceedings from the 6th Annual Vermont Hop Conference are now available online. The online proceedings include video recordings and PDFs of all conference presentations. They can be accessed for a one-time fee of $35 at eXtension’s Online campus at:http://campus.extension.org. If you have not yet been to this site, you will need to create an account. To do so, on the left bar under “Login,” click on “Create new account.” You will need to complete some basic information and confirm your account via email. Once you have created an account, you may enroll in the proceedings by going to http://campus.extension.org/course/view.php?id=1131. You will enter your payment into eXtension’s PayPal system.
2015 No-Till and Cover Crop Symposium, February 19, 2015, Sheraton Hotel and Conference Center, Burlington, VT.
Northwest Crop, Soil and Dairy Meeting: Tile Drainage, January 20, 2015, American Legion, St. Albans, VT.
- The Benefits of Tile Drainage, Steve Mahoney, River Bend Farm Agriculture and Environmental Services.
- Nuts and Bolts of Tile Drainage Systems and Basics to Tile Maintenance, Larry Brown, Ohio State University.
- Drainage Water Management for the Midwest Fact Sheet.
- Tile Drainage Research at the Miner Institute, Eric Young, Miner Institute.
- Tile Drainage Research in Wisconsin, Matt Ruark, University of Wisconsin.
- Tile Drainage in Wisconsin Fact Sheet.
- Designing and Constructing Bioreactors to Reduce Nitrate Loss from Subsurface Drains Fact Sheet.
- Woodchip BioReactor for Nitrate in Agricultural Drainage Fact Sheet.
- USDA Conservation Fact Sheet: Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Compliance
- USDA Wetland Conservation Provisions
- USDA Annual and Perennial Crop List for the Purpose Conservation Compliance.
- USDA FAQ: Conservation Compliance
To see our past events, please click here to view Archived Conferences and Events.