UVM Extension is using the latest version of Blackboard Collaborate (v12.5). If you have been using Elluminate Live!, read Getting Aquainted with Blackboard Collaborate to see a run down of the differences.
- Watch the Essentials for Moderators recording (10:52)
- Read Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing Essentials for Moderators
- Read Getting Started for Moderators Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
Find out about ...
Everyone should run the Audio Setup Wizard when they join the session. It is located at the top right of the AUDIO & VIDEO window. The icon looks like a microphone with a red star/cog and is used to select and adjust audio input(microphone) and output(speakers) devices.
If you are using a microphone (VoIP) remember that you need to click on the 'Talk' button when you want to speak, and again when you have finished.
Moderators and Presenters should use a wired Internet connection (plug in with an Ethernet cable), not wireless.
If you change your connection speed, make sure that you also change the setting in Blackboard Collaborate: Preferences > Session > Connection
|Select||If your connection is …|
|28.8K Dialup||28.8K modem|
|33.6K Dialup||33.6K modem|
|56K Dialup||56K modem|
|ISDN||High-speed dedicated telephone connection|
|Cable/DSL||High-speed cable connection or Digital Subscriber Line (choose this if you are on UVM's wired campus connection)|
|LAN||Local Area Network|
Blackboard Collaborate will remember the settings the next time you join another session on the same computer.
Please read the Using Telephony Quick Reference Guide for information on setting up and using the telephony feature in Blackboard Collaborate.
The numbers and passwords neccessary for teleconferencing can be preconfigured at the time the session is set up. As a moderator you can also change (or add) the details from within the session.
Files that are supported for loading into the Whiteboard are:
- .wwb (Wimba Whiteboard)
- .wbd (Blackboard Collaborate 11 web conferencing and Elluminate Live! Whiteboard)
- .ppt & .pptx
- Image files: (.png, .jpg, .bmp, .gif)
Prezi (.pez) files and Word (.doc, .docx) are not supported for loading into the Whiteboard.
Note that upon upload of content to the whiteboard, slides will be flattened - embedded audio/video, slide transitions and animations will no longer function, and hyperlinks will not be clickable.
Remember to check the 'Follow' box to the top right of the whiteboard content if you want participants to move with you through the slides.
Blackboard Collaborate Publish! is a piece of software that allows you to create .avi, .flv, H.264, Mp4, .mov and .wmv movie files and Mp3, M4A (MPEG-4 audio), Ogg Vorbis and Uncompressed WAV audio files from Blackboard Collaborate recordings. You can also create an Unplugged Recording that allows you to view the recording without connecting to the internet.
Installation instructions and a user guide are provided on the download page:
Organizing a Webinar
- Designing for Participant Engagement with Blackboard Collaborate PDF, 60 Pages - jisc.ac.uk e-Learning Programme
- The Secret Formula for Webinar Presentations that Work Every Time PDF, 18 Pages
- Resources for Designing and Teaching Courses - Center for Teaching and Learning
- Program Evaluation: How to Think about Organizing a Webinar PDF, 8 Pages PennState Factsheet
- 10 Steps for Planning a Successful Webinar - Tips for organizing and producing online seminars for your nonprofit or charity
Last modified August 15 2013 08:44 AM