Local 4-H'ers Show off Their Talents at Regional 4-H Day in Springfield
- By Lisa Muzzey
Springfield--The Southeast 4-H Regional Day, March 29, provided an opportunity for 4-H club members in Windham and Windsor Counties to share with the public what they've learned in 4-H this year. Kids from eight clubs participated in stage presentations, action exhibits, photography and a host of other categories at the event, which was held at Springfield High School in Springfield.
The top exhibitors in each category qualified to compete again at 4-H State Day, May 17 at the Barre Civic Center in Barre. This annual University of Vermont (UVM) Extension 4-H event will feature outstanding 4-H'ers from throughout the state, all winners at other regional 4-H events.
Local 4-H'ers and groups selected for State Day include:
- CLOTHING: Julianna Tefft, Jacksonville (medieval dress)
- PHOTOGRAPHY (digitally enhanced): Maddison Mayhew, Brattleboro (Take My Picture Please!); Taylor Mayhew, Brattleboro (Lulu Acting Like a Llama Mama); Sarah Rogers, Windham (Say Cheese); Kylee Taylor, Athens (Swish); Kassidy Wyman, Cambridgeport (Too Purrfect)
- PHOTOGRAPHY (traditional): Maddison Mayhew, Brattleboro (Leaping Lulu); Taylor Mayhew, Brattleboro (Cabin Fever in Lulu); Whitney Dunklee, Vernon (Horse Gaze); Kelsey Kissell, Vernon (Grumpy Old Pregnant Lady); Kylee Taylor, Athens (All-American Sport); Alissa Walkowiak, Whitingham (Palm Tree); Holly Weglarz, Hartland (A Winter Twinkle); Kassidy Wyman, Cambridgeport (Happy Quacker)
- POSTER: Jenna Dolloph, Chester (Lifecycle of the Monarch Butterfly); Whitney Dunklee, Vernon (Emotion); Maddison Mayhew, Brattleboro (Stop the Slaughter); Garrette Shanks, Brattleboro (Face Markings on Horses); Kassidy Wyman, Cambridgeport (Ribbons Tell the Tale)
- STAGE PRESENTATION (INDIVIDUAL): Emma Krzeminski, Whitingham (singing); Alissa Walkowiak, Whitingham (singing),
- TABLETOP EXHIBITS: Kayli Aldrich, Athens (Samson the Flemish Giant), Claire Holmes, Wardsboro (Alpacas); Kylee Taylor, Athens (A "Bit" of Knowledge); Kassidy Wyman, Cambridgeport (To Dye For)
- ACTION EXHIBIT: Brownsville Trailblazers, Brownsville (Just Bag It), Twin State Horsefeathers, White River Junction (Picture Perfect); Upwey Equestrians, Woodstock (Lead the Way)
- ILLUSTRATED TALK: Violet Tuckerman, Barnard (Growing Goats); Holly Weglarz, Hartland (That Hits the Spot)
- PHOTOGRAPHY (traditional): Arin Kenyon, Chester (Happiness is a Terrier with a Toy; Kennedy Moore, Reading (Winter)
- POSTER: Charlotte Nunan, Reading (How Dolphins are Born); Caleb Palazzo, Reading (Zeppelins)
- STAGE PRESENTATION (GROUP): Nichole and Brianna Wardwell, Hartford (instrumental)
- STAGE PRESENTATION (INDIVIDUAL): Caleb Palazzo, Reading (cello)
- TABLETOP EXHIBITS: Sophia Dedell, Woodstock (Unknown Killers); Lillie Tuckerman, Barnard (Chatting Chickens). Alternates: Hope Brown, West Lebanon, N.H. (Click It); Holly Weglarz, Hartland (Crazy about Conformation)
- TECHNOLOGY (PowerPoint presentation): Charlotte Nunan, Reading (Different Breeds of Cows)
To learn more about the 4-H program in southeastern Vermont, contact Lisa Muzzey, UVM Extension 4-H educator, at (802) 885-8386 or (800) 278-5471 (toll-free in Vermont).