Nominations Sought for 2013 Sustainable Agriculture Council Award
- By Cheryl Herrick
Vermont's Sustainable Agriculture Council is seeking nominations for the 2013 award. The Council is again interested in recognizing efforts to promote the vitality of Vermont's food system with practices that are environmentally, socially and economically sustainable. You can nominate an individual farm, or the innovative practices of a team that includes a farm. In your nomination, please indicate:
• Who is the farm (including name of farmer(s), name of farm, and its location)? Who are team members, if relevant?
• What does the farm produce?
• What practices stand out as especially beneficial for Vermont land, communities and farm economy?
• What are the economic, environmental and/or social benefits of the farm's/team's activities?
• Whether or not we have permission to post the information submitted in your nomination (your answer will not influence our decision).
Criteria used to evaluate each nomination will include the extent to which it demonstrates:
• enhanced economic viability of Vermont farms;
• community engagement;
• environmental benefits;
• a social justice emphasis; and
• strong collaboration.
Self-nominations are acceptable. Nominations should be no longer than 500 words. Nominations are due by 5 p.m. EST on Friday, January 17. The selection committee is comprised of representatives from the Sustainable Agriculture Council and others. The council advises the Vermont Legislature, the University of Vermont and the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets on sustainable agriculture issues. Please submit nominations to: Sustainable Agriculture Council Award, c/o UVM Center for Sustainable Agriculture, 23 Mansfield Ave., Burlington, VT 05401-3323 OR firstname.lastname@example.org
Past recipients of the Sustainable Farm of the Year award include: NVRH & Harvest Hill Farm, Post Oil Solutions, Does Leap Farm, Bakersfield; Shelburne Vineyards, Shelburne Orchards, La Platte River Angus, Shelburne; Harlow Farm, Westminster; Intervale Community Farm, Burlington; Butterworks Farm, Westfield; Lilac Ridge Farm, West Brattleboro; and Adams Farm, Wilmington; Golden Russet Farm, Shoreham; Blue Spruce Farm, Bridport; Someday Farm, East Dorset; and Choiniere Family Farm, Highgate.