The Exam Proctoring Center
The Exam Proctoring Center in is the A-building of Living & Learning on the Athletic Campus of UVM. We are located in Rooms A131-A134 and are across the walkway from Alice's Cafe.
Our facility consists of office space, a testing room with 13 Carrels (6 of which have PCs), and two additional rooms that may be used as Private Rooms (A132 & A134) or can seat up to 5 additional students each 2 with computers in each room.
The EPC office area.
seating up to 13 students with 6 computer stations.
It alternately seats 5 students, 2 using computers.
Software is Microsoft-based and includes:
- Microsoft Office
- Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers*
- Read/Write Gold
- Wolfram Mathematica
- * - Internet access is disabled except for online exams
During Finals, we proctor 4-hour sessions at 7:30 am, 9:00 am, noon, 2:00 pm, and 4:30 pm using our space, additional classrooms, and the Career Services interview rooms allowing us to seat at least 60 students at a time. These 4-hour blocks are 1-1/2 times the length of 2:45 finals; if students are allowed additional time per their accommodation, it is provided.
Use of the EPC
Students in the following populations may use the EPC
- ACCESS - approved students with documented disabilities
- TRiO - First generation, low income students
- USPP or International - identified students whose first language is not English
- Temporary - students with an injury or illness that impacts their test-taking ability
Students absent for personal reasons are handled on a case-by-case basis.
Use of the EPC is at the student's option; he or she may choose to take tests with the class.
The student and the Instructor are free to make other arrangements for the student's tests. Some common alternatives are taking the test in the Instructor's office or in a quiet room near the classroom. The alternatives have the advantage of student/Instructor interaction while testing.
It is the student's responsibilty to:
- Obtain the appropriate permission to test at the EPC.
- ACCESS - Meet with your Specialist each semester, obtain letters defining your accommodations, deliver these letters to your instructors personally, and obtain your instructors' permission to use the EPC.
- TRiO - have permission from the TRiO office. All other responsibilities apply.
- USPP or International - have permission from the Office of International Education or the ELL program of the Learning Coop. All other responsibilities apply.
- Temporary - submit the Student Application for Temporary Services found on the ASP website.
- Inform your instructors that you would like to use the EPC for each test.
- Request an appointment at the EPC for taking a test using the Exam Scheduling Request on the EPC website in a timely fashion.
- Tests during the semester must be scheduled 1 week in advance; Finals 2 weeks in advance.
- Faculty receives a copy of this request via email. No response from Faculty to the student or to the EPC is taken as approval. It is the Instructor's perogative to disallow the request.
- Arrive on time for their test with any materials allowed by the Instructor.
Students are expected to meet these responsibilities particularly the interactions with their Instructors.
EPC Staffing & Test Processing
Staffing consists of the Exam Proctoring Center Coordinators, UVM employees, assisted by Federal Work Study and student temporary employees.
Duties are segregated as follows:
Exam Proctoring Center Coordinators
- Administration of the EPC
- Supervision of Student Employees
- Receipt and handling of all tests sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Only the Coordinators and their supervisor have access to this email account.
- Printed tests are kept in a locked cabinet until needed, they are placed in envelopes that remain under the Coordinators' supervision.
- Electronic copies of tests are deleted when the last student has completed his test.
- Creation and maintenance of the EPC website.
- Receive training on Diversity and EPC processes
- Sign a confidentiality agreement covering exam content and the identity of students using the EPC
- Give exam questions and materials to students taking tests in the EPC
- Students do not handle tests for course work they are taking or will take
- All test materials are returned to faculty unless explicity directed to allow the student to retain them.
- Monitor students while taking tests
- A web-based application monitors the time a student has remaining for his/her test and schedules Proctor walkthroughs of the test rooms at a random time between 30 and 45 minutes.
- When a student's accommodations require, function as a Reader or a Scribe for that student. Staff will not provide clarification or "hints".
- Assure that all test materials including any notes permitted and any scrap paper used are returned.
- Seal exam materials in envelopes for return to faculty
- Hand carry exams to faculty or department offices releasing completed tests to authorized UVM employees after obtaining the signature of the recipient. With explicit faculty instructions, completed tests are released to students for return to faculty or scanned and emailed to faculty's UVM email.
Feel free to contact me at 802-656-8610 if you have any questions
Jim McGarry, EPC Coordinator
(with student's test request forms for Fall 2011)
Last modified January 23 2014 03:29 PM