Faculty - Paul Besaw
Paul Besaw, associate professor & dance coordinator
- MFA, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- BA, Keene State College
Area of expertise
contemporary dance technique, choreography, dance history
Contact informationEmail: Paul Besaw
Paul Besaw, associate professor of dance at The University of Vermont, teaches classes in contemporary dance technique, choreography, and dance history. Paul’s primary interest lies in developing original dance/theatre and his work has been seen throughout the U.S. and abroad. He is a founder. leader, and active member of three performance groups: Dance Tramp, a collective of contemporary dance artists in Northern Vermont; Agnes Table, a performance collective devoted to original, collaboratively-devised theatre projects; and The Solo Workshop, a multidisciplinary group of artists exploring and producing original, multidisciplinary, solo performance works.
Before coming to UVM, Paul served as assistant professor at California State University, Sacramento, where he coordinated the 2006 American College Dance Association (ACDA) Southwest Region Conference, and Catawba College in North Carolina, where he coordinated the dance and musical theatre programs. Three of his dances on university dance students have been selected for regional ACDA conference culminating Gala Concerts. Paul is currently on the ACDA Board of Directors, serving as Regional Director for the New England Region.
Memorable performances: Paul’s experience also includes performing for dance artists Jack Arnold, Blue Skid Dance, Sally Bomer, Clare Byrne, Joel Conrad, Hannah Dennison, John Gamble, Susan Levine, Marcia Murdock, Sherone Price, Kayvon Pourazar, Tiffany Rhynard, Alta Lu Townes, and Jan Van Dyke.
Paul Besaw in the news:
- "Vermont Choreographers Bring a Dose of Darkness and Light to FlynnSpace" from Seven Days
- "New Dance Collective Offers an Evening of Foot-Stomping Bluegrass and Blues" from Seven Days
- "Five Artists in Five Disciplines Unite for One Experimental Show" from Seven Days
- "Song and Dance Man" from Seven Days
- "Music, Dance Faculty to Perform Solo -- Together" from UVM Today
- "Dance Steps Up" from UVM's The View publication