The UVM Media Manager
Included in this guide:
- WHAT IS THE MEDIA MANAGER?
The Media Manager is a web-based tool for uploading media files (audio and video) to your UVM server space, also known as your "zoo space." (link to pop up) The media manager also makes it simple to share your media, by broadcasting it, linking to it, or embedding it on a webpage such as a Blackboard course page. If needed, you can also password protect some of your files, so only certain people can view it .
- LOG IN
- (Recommended: Firefox browser):Go to this web address: uvm.edu/mediamanager
- Log in using your UVM NetID (and password)right way: iuser
wrong way: email@example.com
When you log in for the first time, you'll see a “podcast_folder” that contains two buttons: to upload a file and to create a folder. (You may need to click on the folder to open it.)
- UPLOAD MEDIA FILE
- First, review the list of acceptable file types on the right, then click the green arrow button titled, "Upload a file to podcast_folder." This will open a pop-up window.
- Maximum file size is 10GB
- In the pop-up window, click the "Add files" button, then browse to your file on your computer, and choose it by clicking "open." (this action word may vary between browsers)
- Once you have one or more videos listed in your queue, click "Start Upload." (100% indicates that the upload is complete.) You can now return to your main page by closing the pop up window (clicking small "x" on top right of pop-up.)
- You should now see your newly uploaded media listed under (inside) the podcast_folder (Refresh your browser page, if you do not.)
- Preview file; add description/title
- You may now want to preview the file, as well as add title and descriptions. Click on the file name. In this window you may add a title and description. (NOTE: title and descriptions will be displayed when linking directly to a file or podcasting it, but not when embedding it.) To save your changes, click the link "Click to save and close" at top right of pop-up window.
- Create link to files
- Click on file name to open pop-up window
- Click on "+ Show Link"
- Copy the address from that window and use it to create your link on a webpage, such as a Blackboard content page
- Create a link to a folder
- Click on "Edit Folder"
- Click "+ Show List of links to all videos in this folder URL" (see image, right)
- Copy and paste the address shown to make your link
- Embed files in webpages
- To view the video directly on a webpage such as Blackboard, you'll need to paste the "embed code" generated by the Media Manager into that webpage. Start by clicking "+ Show embed code" in your Media Manager pop-up window, and copy the code that is displayed.
- Next, to embed the video in Blackboard, go to the content area page in your course where you wish it to appear, click "Build Content/Create Item." On the item setup page, give the item a name and paste in the code below, however, IMPORTANT: before pasting in the code you have copied from the Media Manager, you must first click "Toggle HTML Source Mode" as in figure at right. Then, paste the code and submit.
- To view the video directly on a webpage such as Blackboard, you'll need to paste the "embed code" generated by the Media Manager into that webpage. Start by clicking "+ Show embed code"
- File Management
- Rename files by clicking on them to edit
- If you have a lot of files you may wish to create folders (click the create folder button). Files can be dragged and dropped in and out of folders.
- To delete files, drag them to the trash can