- Blackboard at UVM
Blackboard at UVM
Blackboard is an online course management system that supports the sharing of learning resources, student collaboration, learning assessment, and multiple means of communication between course members. Every course in the Banner system has an associated Blackboard course space that is automatically populated with registered students. UVM is currently using Blackboard Learn release 9.1.13.
Learn How to Use Blackboard
- Blackboard How-tos
- Teaching with Blackboard at UVM
- Blackboard's On Demand Learning Center
- See Blackboard's Supported Browser and OS list
- Known Issues List
How to Get Help
- Help Tab on UVM's Blackboard site
- Blackboard's Online help: help.blackboard.com/ (Note: there may be some references to features not found on UVM's version of Blackboard)
- Call the UVM Techteam: 1-802-656-2604
- Look for workshops on the CTL events calendar
- Instructors and TAs may contact the CTL using the "Request Help" link at the top-right of this page
- Learn more about the CTL Dr. Is In program
The Blackboard Course Cycle
- » Read about when courses are created and their lifespan.
Blackboard courses are created once the Registrar's Schedule of Courses is finalized. Generally, this means that courses will be available to instructors at some point during the prior term. Below are approximate timeframes for course creation on Bb.
- Summer courses made available by early February
- Fall courses made available by mid-April
- Spring courses made available by late October
Courses have a lifespan of five semesters. At any given point your current semester course will be available as well as those from the previous three semesters and the next semester. NOTE: This is based on a three-semester schedule, Fall, Spring and Summer.
For instance: in a Spring semester, the next semester, Summer, will be live on the server as well as the past three semesters—Fall, Summer, and Spring—of the previous year.
Instructors and TAs have control of whether a course is available to students. Learn how to turn course availability on and off, here.