The Moose River runs through North Concord and Concord, going on to St. Johnsbury before joining the Passumpsic. Brooks include Halls, Ranney, Stockwell, Cold, Mink, Carr, Cutting, Dudley, Roaring and Kirby.
MOUNTAINS, HILLS, WET LANDS, FORESTS
Miles Mountain, at 2,690 feet, is the only mountain in Concord over 2,000 feet. Other lower elevations are Goudreault Hill and Shaw Mountain.
In 1864 copper was discovered, but the industry did not last long. In 1865 there were 20 men employed. Farming was the first use of the land, then granite and lumber became important to the economy of the town.
On October 1, 1930, President Hoover pushed a button in Washington, DC and 700 miles away in northern Vermont and New Hampshire the waterwheels starting turning at New England's largest single hydroelectric development. The charter for development was from International Paper to the New England Power Association in 1926. This project was part of the national trend for large hydroelectric development and, at the time, was the fourth largest in the country. Electricity was sent 126 miles to a substation in Tewksbury, Massachusetts for distribution to eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The first dam was the Comerford Dam (15 Mile Dam) in Barnet; then a smaller dam was built in McIndoe Falls, and finally, the Moore Dam in Waterford. As a result of the Moore Dam, the Moore Reservoir was formed, and changed Concord's river boundary into a lakeshore. The Reservoir flooded much of the land first settled in the beginning years of Concord.
Fires destroyed the following businesses between 1850 and 1896: pail factory and foundry, a woolen mill and foundry, Town Hall, dressing mill, the Grout sawmill, and the Dudley sawmill.
PUBLIC ACCESS AREAS
Concord has two State Fishing Access Areas, one at Miles Pond and the other at Shadow Lake. There is also an access on Moore Reservoir, just over the line in Waterford.
OTHER NATURAL RESOURCE CAPITAL
The University of Vermont owns 100 acres of hardwood forest, which as been designated as a Natural Area, on the top of Miles Mountain. While UVM's land remains untouched, the rest of the mountain has been lumbered.
Concord attracts hikers, fly-fishermen and mountain bikers, especially in the fall to view the foliage.
Comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org Reviewed on 4/23/98