The Darling family, who first cleared land in 1840 at the base of Burke Mountain, was a force of growth in many aspects of the town. Their fortune had been derived from the old Fifth Avenue Hotel in New York. Henry G. Darling, son of Ebenezer Darling, one Burke's early settlers, bought land at the base of Burke Mountain because he was concerned that most forested and would soon be ravaged for timber. His son, Elmer, built the neo-Georgian style Burklyn Hall in 1908 on this site. The hall , called Burklyn because half of it lay in Burke and the other half in Lyndon, was the location of many Christmas parties, held for the town=s children. In this spirit of community service, Elmer Darling also funded, designed, and ran a community center called the Burke Mountain Club House that included a library and an area for movies to be shown. In addition, he was also responsible for making electricity available to the village and its homes around 1920. Both Burklyn Hall and the Darling land were donated to the state in 1957, (Fisher, 1987). In 1973, Burklyn Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, (Burklyn, 1974). The Friends of Burklyn, a non-profit group, incorporated exclusively for furthering education at the estate, aims to maintain the building and grounds for creative education in the arts and natural sciences for all citizens of the Northeast Kingdom while preserving the propertys beauty and dignity, (Burklyn, 1974).