- About UVM
- Student Life
Resources and Expertise to Support People and Communities
Concord Social Capital
The Rev. Samuel Read Hall at Concord Corners founded the first normal school in the country for the training of teachers in 1823. See Historic Markers.
Presently, grades four through twelve are taught in the Concord School and grades one through three are taught in the East Concord School. Concord is part of the Essex-Caledonia Supervisory Union School District.
Churches in Concord include the Community Church, Episcopal, Baptist and Methodist.
Organized in 1821, the Free Will Baptists built a church in the Texas District in 1843. The Universalist Church, now the Concord Community Church, was built in 1844. In 1869 the Methodist Episcopal Church was built. It was sold to the Masons in 1936. St. James Episcopal Church was built in 1911.
When Concord was at its peak, there were several Post Offices. The first was opened at Concord Village, (Concord Corner) in 1804. West Concord (Concord) got its Post Office in 1850, followed by Miles Pond in 1869, East Concord in 1875 and North Concord in 1877. Concord Corner was discontinued in 1893, reopened in 1897 and closed in 1903. Miles Pond and East Concord were closed in 1939 and 1966 respectively.
Currently there are two Post Offices in the Town of Concord: Concord (05824) and North Concord (05858). The East Concord area is served with RFD service from Lunenburg.
The Concord Public Library is located in the Village of Concord.
In front of the East Concord Methodist Church: "George Lansing Fox, one of the four Dorchester Chaplains, called from his Gilman parish to W.W.II. First Lieutenant Fox died when torpedoed in the North Atlantic. Giving his life jacket to a soldier, he parished with three other chaplains".
At junction of US Rt. 2 with Concord Corner Road: "First Normal School - Pioneer in Teacher Training. The first recognized school in America for the purpose of training teachers was conducted near here by Rev. Samuel Read Hall 1823. Practice teaching was employed using Lectures on Schoolkeeping which became, in 1829, the first professional book for teachers." The school stood 2.4 miles south of the marker at Concord Corners; another marker marks the exact spot.
The Grant-Nicols Fife and Drum Corps started in 1866. The group was instrumental in starting Memorial Day services. In 1976 the corps had no fifes, but did have seven drummers.
Concord is one of eight northern Vermont communities in the UVM Extension Take Charge Program. Facilitators and materials are provided communities to bring together residents and business people in the interests of the community's future. Committees that evolved from the Take Charge Program are Town Hall, Recreation, Tourism, and Natural Resources. The recreation committee received a grant from the Vermont Land and Water Conservation Fund to build a basketball court at the North Concord Community Club. The recreation committee also ran a quilt raffle to earn money for more tables at the Miles Pond Beach area. Other projects for this committee are work on the Miles Pond shelter and expanding the trails for recreational vehicles. The Tourism Committee decided to have a contest at Concord High School for a town logo. The winning design was created by Lance Whitehead and will be used for welcome signs and brochures. The Natural Resources committee is working on a map to inventory the natural resources of the Concord area. Another goal is a nature trail for hiking. Concord High School offers a Natural Resource class. The goals of the Town Hall committee are to restore and meet State of Vermont compliance standards for the building. At Town Meeting in 1993, it was voted to put a new roof on the Town Hall; however, before the work began the Vermont Department of Labor and Industry found the need for fire doors, fire code gypsum in the hall and furnace area, updated electric service, and replacement of the gas heater in the Museum. The Take Charge committee and the Historical Society are working together to raise the funds for the improvements.
In 1868 the Fairground Company created a half-mile horseracing track.
On the last weekend in September the Concord Historical Society holds it annual open house on the second floor of the Town Hall. Across the street the Community Church feeds the Town's visitors at its fall foliage dinner.
A Farmers Market is being held on Saturdays in September and October at the Town Hall, a combined effort of Concord and Kirby.
A Concord military company trained in St. Johnsbury in 1861. Thirty-five men from Concord served in the Civil War. There were eight in the Spanish-American War, seventy-five in W.W.I and fifty in W.W.II. Concord residents also served in Korea and Vietnam.
The memorial at Concord High School lists 128 names, including three Gold Stars.
Flags are put on five cemeteries each Memorial Day for veterans.
Last modified September 12 2013 12:32 PM