CRS: resources and expertise to support people and communities
Food System Research Collaborative
The Food System Research Collaborative was launched by the Center for Rural Studies with a meeting of the minds on February 6, 2009. The primary goal of the Collaborative is to join on-campus and off-campus organizations in efforts to further food system research and enhance linkages to the work on the ground in Vermont and beyond.
- Join the Conversation
- Food System Minigrant Funding
- Setting the Research Agenda
- Opportunities for Agriculture White Paper Series
Visit the Food System Research Collaborative's website, www.foodsystemresearch.net, a forum for discussion, collaboration, and information about food system research in Vermont.
Through an assessment of research gaps, researchers and representatives from organizations throughout Vermont identified the following research questions:
- How do you make the food system more robust?
- Can an increase in marketing and education drive the system forward?
- What are the leverage points for change and the system constraints?
- How do we remove barriers for people who want to enter the field?
- How do we change perceptions of Ag as a low value economic sector?
[Back to top]
The Collaborative has initiated a White Paper Series connecting University of Vermont researchers with community partners.
- Economic Opportunity in Local Food Systems:
Baselines and Targets
Lead Authors: David Conner, Community Development and Applied Economics, University of Vermont; Ellen Kahler, Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund; Linda Berlin, Center for Sustainable Agriculture, University of Vermont; Doug Hoffer, Independent Policy Analyst
- Regional Food Systems Planning:A Case Study from Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom
Lead Authors: Christopher Koliba, Community Development and Applied Economics, University of Vermont; Erica Campbell, Center for an Agricultural Economy; Heather Davis, SIT Graduate Institute
- Place-Based Marketing Opportunities for Vermont
Lead Authors: Jane Kolodinsky, CRS Director and Chair of Community Development and Applied Economics, University of Vermont and Abby Smith, M.S. Candidate, Community Development and Applied Economics, University of Vermont
- Taste of Home: Migration, Food and Belonging in a Changing Vermont
Lead Authors: Pablo Bose, Department of Geography, University of Vermont; Alisha Laramee, Vermont Migrant Education Network
- Working towards the Common Table: How Vermont AddressesSocial Justice and Food Access with Local Food and Why it Matters
Lead Authors: Linda Berlin, Center for Sustainable Agriculture, University of Vermont; Jean Hamilton, Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont; Rachel Schattman, Center for Sustainable Agriculture, University of Vermont
Click on the images to read the papers and click on the paper titles to download PDFs.
- Farm to School: Implications for Child Nutrition
Lead Authors: Linda Berlin, Director of the UVM Center for Sustainable Agriculture; Kim Norris, FSNE Evaluation Coordinator at the University of Maryland; and Jane Kolodinsky, CRS Director
Community Partner: Abbey Nelson, Vermont FEED
- Produits du terroir: Similarities and Differences Between France, Quebec and Vermont
Lead Authors: Amy Trubek, Assistant Professor in Nutrition and Food Science, UVM, and Jean-Pierre Lemasson, Universite de Quebec-Montreal
Community Partner: Helen Jordan, Vermont Agency of Agriculture
- Adding the Internet to your Business Recipe: Opportunity for Marketing in the 21st Century
Lead Author: Mary Peabody, University of Vermont Extension
Community Partner: Women's Agricultural Network
- Vermont's Dairy Sector: Is There a Sustainable Future for the 800 lb. Gorilla?
Lead Author: Bob Parsons, Extension Associate Professor in CDAE
Community Partner: Vermont Agency of Agriculture
- Do Raw Milk Sales Help or Harm Local Dairy Economies: The Case of Vermont H.125
Lead Author: Catherine Donnelly, Professor in Nutrition and Food Science
Additional CRS Research on the Food System
Questions about the Collaborative?
If you have an idea for or a question about the Food System Research Collaborative, contact CRS Director Jane Kolodinsky.
Last modified July 05 2012 02:43 PM