University of Vermont Clinical Research Center
The CRC Informatics Core is available to investigators with protocols using the CRC and to those who request support for more limited services such as assistance with data entry or analysis.
- Advice on data collection, management, and analysis
- Assistance with database and survey design
- Assistance with using software provided on or by the Informatics Core
- Creation of randomization schemes
- Data storage on file server in secure, HIPAA environment with nightly back-up
- Use of flat-bed (color) or document-feeding (black-and-white) scanners
- Database creation and more extensive services provided on a % FTE basis
Software provided on Informatics Core:
- REDCap (see below)
- REDCap Survey (see below)
- MinMod Millenium (for analyzing minimal model - IVGTTs)
- Sample Power (for sample size and power calculations)
- TeleForm (form-scanning software which saves data to spreadsheet or database)
- Adobe Acrobat, Omni-Page Pro 17, Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop Elements (for scanners)
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) data collection projects rely on a thorough study-specific data dictionary defined in an iterative self-documenting process by members of the research team with planning assistance from the Informatics Core Manager. Further details.
REDCap Survey is a powerful tool for building and managing online surveys. The research team can create and design surveys in a web browser and engage potential respondents using a variety of notification methods.
Advantages of REDCap:
- Secure, web-based, with authentication and data-logging (auditing)
- Free to REDCap Consortium members (UVM CCTS is a member)
- Fast and flexible to design and implement
- Multi-site access (here through FAHC gateway)
- Export data & syntax to common stat packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R/S-Plus)
- 21 CFR Part 11 Capable
The Informatics Core facility is a part of the Fletcher Allen computer network. All CRC PCs are configured with Microsoft Office Professional 2003 and Internet Explorer. A FAHC computer account, which the Informatics Core Manager can assist you in obtaining, is necessary to access the Informatics Core resources, including REDCap. Users on the FAHC network can access CRC file server or REDcap directly. Access for remote users is provided securely via the FAHC "gateway".
Informatics Core User's Guide (MS Word file)
Diantha Howard, M.S., Informatics Core Manager
Office: Given N307, Tel. (802) 656-8287 (Tues, Wed, Thurs only)
Last modified January 07 2013 03:34 PM