University of Vermont Clinical Research Center
The CRC Informatics Core is available to investigators with protocols using the CRC and to those who request support for more limited services such as assistance with data entry or analysis. Workstations are provided in the "CRC Workstation Room" (Shepardson 216) for the use of investigators and coordinators performing studies on the CRC. In addition there is a PC in the Center for Clinical and Translational Science Informatics space in Given Courtyard N351.
- Advice on data collection, management, and analysis
- Assistance with database and survey design
- Assistance with using software provided on or by the Informatics Core
- Creation of randomization schemes
- Data storage on file server in secure, HIPAA environment with nightly back-up
- Use of flat-bed (color) or document-feeding (black-and-white) scanners (in Given Courtyard S351)
- Database creation and more extensive services provided on a % FTE basis
Software provided on/by Informatics Core:
- Web Applications
- REDCap (see below)
- REDCap "Survey" (see below)
- Applications on PCs in CRC Workstation Room (Shepardson 216)
- MinMod Millenium (for analyzing minimal model - IVGTTs)
- Applications on PC in Given Courtyard S351
- TeleForm (form-scanning software which saves data to spreadsheet or database)
- Adobe Acrobat, ScanWizard (for scanners)
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) data collection projects rely on a thorough study-specific data dictionary defined in an iterative self-documenting process by members of the research team with planning assistance from the Informatics Core Manager. Further details.
REDCap "Survey" is a separate instance of REDCap, housed on a UVM server, which includes a powerful tool for building and managing online surveys. The research team can create and design surveys in a web browser and engage potential respondents using a variety of notification methods.
Advantages of REDCap:
- Secure, web-based, with authentication and data-logging (auditing)
- Free to REDCap Consortium members (UVM CCTS is a member)
- Fast and flexible to design and implement
- Multi-site access (here through FAHC gateway)
- Export data & syntax to common stat packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R)
- 21 CFR Part 11 Capable
The Informatics Core facility is a part of the Fletcher Allen computer network. All CRC PCs are configured with Microsoft Office 2010 and Internet Explorer. A FAHC computer account, which the Informatics Core Manager can assist you in obtaining, is necessary to access the Informatics Core resources, including REDCap. Users on the FAHC network can access REDcap directly. Access for remote users is provided securely via the FAHC "gateway".
Diantha Howard, M.S., Informatics Core Manager
Office: Given Courtyard S351, Tel. (802) 656-8287 (Tues, Wed, Thurs only)
Last modified October 31 2014 08:00 AM