University of Vermont Clinical Research Center
Publications by GCRC Investigators 2001-2002
1. Ades PA, Balady GJ, Berra K. Transforming exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation programs into secondary prevention centers: A national imperative. J Cardiopulm Rehabil. 2001. 21:263-272.
2. Ades PA, Kottke TE, Houston-Miller N, McGrath JC, Record NB, Record SS. Bethesda Conference #3. Prevention Cardiology: How can we do better? Getting results: Who, where and how?. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002. Accepted 3/14/2002.
3. Ades PA, Savage PD, Tischler MD, Poehlman ET, Dee J, Niggel J. Determinants of disaility in older coronary patients. American Heart Journal. 2002. 143:151-156.
4. Ades PA. Cardiac Rehabilitation and the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. New Engl J Med. 2001. 345:892-902.
5. Ades PA. Nutraceuticals in the prevention and treatment of coronary heart disease. Coronary Artery Disease. 2001. 12:533-534.
6. Aggarwal A, Ades PA. Exercise rehabilitation in older patients with cardiovascular disease. Cardiology Clini. 2001. 19(3):525-536.
7. Aggarwal A, Ades PA. Interactions of herbal remedies with prescription cardiovascular medications. Coronary Artery Disease. 2001. 12:581-584.
8. Ajar AH, Rathmell JP, Mukherji SK. The subdural compartment. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine. 2002. 27(1):72-76.
9. Balagopal P, Schimke JC, Ades PA, Adey D, Nair KS. Age effect on transcript levels and synthesis rate of muscle myosin heavy chain and response to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol: Endocr Metab. 2001. 280:203-208.
10. Bankier B, Littman AB, Rees K, Ebrahim S, the Cochrane Heart Group, Ades PA. Cardiac Rehabilitation. N Engl J Med. 2002. 346(5):379-380.
11. Bernstein IM, Zeigler W, Badger GJ. Plasma volume expansion in early pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2001. 97:669-673.
12. Bernstein IM, Ziegler WF, Badger G, Leavitt T. Uterine artery hemodynamic adaptation through the menstrual cycle into early pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2002. Accepted 11/29/2001.
13. Brochu M, Savage P, Lee M, Dee J, Cress ME, Poehlman ET, Tischler M, Ades PA. Effects of resistance training on physical function in older disabled women with coronary heart disease. J Appl Physiol. 2002. 92:672-678.
14. Brummel KE, Paradis SG, Branda RF, Mann KG. Oral anticoagulation thresholds. Circulation. 2001. 104:2311-2317.
15. Brummel KE, Paradis SG, Butenas S, Branda RF, Mann KG. Thrombin functions during tissue factor induced blood coagulation. Blood. 2002. Accepted 2/25/2002.
16. Budney AJ, Hughes JR, Moore BA, Novy PL. Marijuana abstinence effects in marijuana smokers maintained in their home environment. Archives of General Psychiatry. 2001. 58:917-924.
17. Butenas S, Brummel KE, Branda RF, Paradis SG, Mann KG. Mechanism of factor VIIa-dependent coagulation in hemophilia blood. Blood. 2002. 99:923-930.
18. Cao J, Savage P, Brochu M, Ades P. Prevalence of lipid lowering therapy at cardiac rehabilitation entry: 2000 vs. 1996. J Cardiopulm Rehabil. 2002. 22(2):80-84.
19. Carter CS, Ramsey MM, Ingram RL, Cashion AB, Cefalu WT, Wang ZQ, Sonntag WE. Models of growth hormone and IGF-1 deficiency: Application to studies of aging processes and lifespan determination. J Gerontol Biol Sci. 2002. Accepted 12/10/2001.
20. Cefalu WT, Wang ZQ, Zhang XH, Baldor LC, Russell JC. Oral Chromium picolinate improves carbohydrate and lipid metabolism and enhances skeletal muscle glut-4 translocation in obese, hyperinsulinemic [JCR-LA Corpulent] rats. J Nutrition. 2002. Accepted 2/20/2002.
21. Cefalu WT. Inhaled Insulin: A proof-of-concept study. Ann Intern Med. 2001. 134:795.
22. Cefalu WT. Novel routes of insulin delivery for patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Ann Med. 2001. 33:579-586.
23. Cefalu WT. The use of hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women with type 2 diabetes. J Womens Health Gend Based Med. 2001. 10:241-255.
24. Couture P, Bovill EG, Demers C, Simard J, Delage R, Scott BT, Valliere JE, Callas PW, Jomphe M, Rosendaal FR, Aiach M, Long GL. Evidence of a founder effect for the protein C gene 3363 inserted C mutation in thrombophilic pedigrees of French origin. Throm Haemost. 2001. 86:1000-1006.
25. Cushman M, Booth SL, Possidente CJ, Davidson KW, Sadowski JA, Bovill EG. The association of vitamin K status with warfarin sensitivity at the onset of treatment. Br J Hematology. 2001. 112:572-577.
26. DeNino WF, Tchernof A, Dionne IJ, Toth MJ, Ades PA, Sites CK, Poehlman ET. Contribution of abdominal adiposity to age-related differences in insulin sensitivity and plasma lipids in healthy nonobese women. Diabetes Care. 2001. 24:925-932.
27. Edwards IJ, Rudel LL, Terry JG, Kemnitz JW, Weindruch R, Zaccaro DJ, Cefalu WT. Caloric restriction lowers plasma lipoprotein (a) in male but not female rhesus monkeys. Exp Gerontol. 2001. 36:1413-1418.
28. Fukagawa NK, Li M, Timblin CR, Mossman BT. Modulation of cell injury and survival by high glucose and advancing age. Free Rad Bio Med . 2001. 31(12):1560-1569.
29. Fukagawa NK, Liang P, Li M, Ashikaga T, Reddy KR, Krawitt EL. Glutathione-S-transferase M1 null genotype in autoimmune hepatitis. Dig Dis Sci. 2001. 46(10):2080-2083.
30. Harvey-Berino J, Gold EC, Smith DE, Shuldiner AR, Walston JD, Starling RD, Turner A, Silver K, Poehlman ET. Does genetic testing for obesity influence confidence in the ability to lose weight?. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2001. 101:1351-1353.
31. Harvey-Berino J, Pintauro SJ, Gold BC. The feasibility of using internet support for the maintenance of weight loss. Behavior Modification. 2002. 26:103-116.
32. Jaffery JB, Aggarwal A, Ades PA, Weise WJ. Ethylene glycol poisioning: A long sweet sleep with sour consequences. Lancet. 2001. 358:1236.
33. Joy MS, Cefalu WT, Hogan SL, Nachman P. Long-term glycemic control measurements in diabetic patients receiving hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis . 2002. 39:297-307.
34. Kotler LA, Devlin MJ, Matthews DE, Walsh BT. Total energy expenditure as measured by double labeled water in outpatients with bulimia nervosa. Int J Eat Disord. 2001. 29:470-476.
35. Langevin HM, Churchill DL, Fox JR, Badger GJ, Garra BS, Krag MH. Biomechanical response to acupuncture needling in humans. J Appl Physiol. 2001. 91:2471-2478.
36. Langevin HM, Churchill DL, Wu J, Badger GJ, Yandow JA, Fox JR, Krag MH. Evidence of connective tissue involvement in acupuncture. FASEB J. 2002. Accepted 4/10/2002.
37. Li M, Absher PM, Liang P, Russell JC, Sobel BE, Fukagawa NK. High glucose concentrations induce oxidative damage to mitochondrial DNA in explanted vascular smooth muscle cells. Exp Biol Med . 2001. 226:450-457.
38. MacCoss MJ, Fukagawa NK, Matthews DE. Measurement of intracellular sulfur amino acid metabolism in humans. Am J Physiol. 2001. 280(6):E947-E955.
39. MacCoss MJ, Toth MJ, Matthews DE. Evaluation and optimization of ion-current ratio measurements by selected-ion-monitoring mass spectrometry. Anal Chem. 2001. 73:2976-2984.
40. MacKenzie D, Johnson RK, Harvey-Berino J, Gold EC. The impact of interviewer body mass index on underreporting of energy intake in overweight and obese women. Obesity Research. 2002. Accepted 1/23/2002.
41. Marsch LA, Bickel WK, Badger GJ, Rathmell JP, Swedberg MD, Jonzon B, Norsten-Hoog C. Effects of infusion rate of intravenously administered morphine on physiological, psychomotor, and self-reported measures in humans. Journal of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics. 2001. 299 (3):1056-1065.
42. Moore BA, Budney AJ. Tobacco smoking in marijuana-dependent outpatients. Journal of Substance Abuse. 2001. 13:585-598.
43. Newhouse PA, Potter A, Kelton M, Corwin J. Nicotinic treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Biological Psychiatry. 2001. 49:268-278.
44. Poehlman ET, Denino WF, Beckett T, Kinaman KA, Dionne IJ, Dvorak R, Ades PA. Effects of endurance and resistance training on total daily energy expenditure in young women: a controlled randomized trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002. 87 (3):1004-1009.
45. Poehlman ET, Turturro A, Bodkin N, Cefalu W, Heymsfield S, Holloszy, Kemnitz J. Caloric restriction mimetics: physical activity and body composition changes. J Gerontol Biol Sci. 2001. 56A (Special Issue I):45-54.
46. Polk DM, Keilson LM, Malenka DJ, McGowan MP, Ades P for the Northern New England Cardiovascular Disease Study Group. Coronary Revascularization: An opportunity for lipid screening and treatment. Journal of Interventional Cardiology. 2001. 14:109-112.
47. Rosendaal FR, Bovill EG. Heritability of clotting factors and the revival of the prothromboic state. Lancet. 2002. 359:638-639.
48. Savage P, Lee M, James S, Ades PA. Weight reduction in the cardiac rehabilitation setting. J Cardipulm Rehabil. 2002. Accepted 4/2/2002.
49. Savage P, Ricci MS, Lynn M, Gardner A, Knight S, Brochu M, Ades PA. Effects of home vs. supervised exercise for patients with intermittent claudication. J Cardiopulm Rehabil. 2001. 21:152-157.
50. Scott BT, Bovill EG, Callas PW, Hasstedt SJ, Leppert MF, Valliere JE, Varvil TS, Long GL. Genetic screening of candidate genes for a pro-thrombotic interaction with type I protein C deficiency in a large kindred. Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 2001. 85:82-87.
51. Svanberg E, Moller-Loswick A-C, Matthews DE, Korner U, Lundholm K. The effect of glutamine on protein balance and amino acid flux across arm and leg tissues in healthy volunteers. Clin Physiol. 2001. 21:478-489.
52. Taatjes DJ, Schneider DJ, Bovill EG, Sobel BE. Microscopy-based imaging characterization of the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease. Microscopy & Analysis. 2001. September 2001:21-23.
53. Tarver JM, Rathmell JP, Alsofrom GF. Lumbar Discography. Regional Anesthesia & Pain Medicine. 2001. 26 (3):263-266.
54. Tatro A, Naylor M, Quealey K, Delgado P, Newhouse P. A pilot study of tryptophan depletion effects on behavior and cognition in Alzheimer's disease. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2002. Accepted 11/1/2001.
55. Tchernof A, Nolan A, Sites CK, Ades PA, Poehlman ET. Weight loss reduces C-reactive protein levels in obese postmenopausal women. Circulation . 2002. 105:564-569.
56. Toth MJ, MacCoss MJ, Poehlman ET, Matthews DE. Recovery of 13CO2 from infused [1-13C] leucine and [1,2-13C2] leucine in healthy humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001. 281:E233-E241.
57. Toth MJ, Poehlman ET, Matthews DE, Tchernof A, MacCoss MJ. Effect of estradiol and progesterone on body composition, protein synthesis and lipoprotein lipase in rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001. 280:E496-E501.
58. Toth MJ, Sites CK, Cefalu WT, Matthews DE, Poehlman ET. Determinants of insulin-stimulated glucose disposal in middle-aged, premenopausal women. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001. 281:E113-E121.
59. Undas A, Brummel K, Musial J, Mann KG, Szczeklik A. Simvastatin depresses blood clotting by inhibiting activation of prothrombin, factor V and factor XIII and by enhancing factor Va inactivation. Circulation. 2001. 103:2248-2253.
60. Undas A, Brummel KE, Musial J, Mann KG, Szczeklik A. Blood coagulation at the site of microvascular injury: effects of low-dose aspirin. Blood. 2001. 98:2423-2431.
61. Undas A, Brummel KE, Musial J, Mann KG, Szczeklik A. The P1A2 polymorphism of B3 integrin is associated with enhanced thrombin generation and impaired antithrombotic action of aspirin at the site of microvascular injury. Circulation. 2001. 104:2666-2672.
62. Williams MA, Fleg JL, Ades PA, Chaitman BR, Houston-Miller N, Mohiuddin SM, Ockene IS, Taylor CB, Wenger NK. Secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in the elderly (with emphasis on patients >75 years of age): An American Heart Association Advisory. Circulation. 2002. 105:1735-1743.
Last modified July 25 2002 03:57 PM