Dr. Bai is an assistant professor in the Department of Rehabilitation and Movement Science with expertise in physical activity/fitness surveillance and health promotion. She has been working as the lead data analyst in the NFL PLAY 60 FitnessGram project, which has provided training and support to a network of over 1100 schools across the nation. Her research interest also includes validating subjective measure (Youth Activity Profile) and objective measure (e.g., consumer- and research-grade activity monitor) for physical activity and sedentary behaviors. Designing and disseminating evidence-based behavioral intervention program with technology to prevent and treat chronic diseases are the new line of Dr. Bai’s research agenda.
- Saint-Maurice, PF., Bai, Y., Welk, G.J., Allums-Featherston, KA., Norman, C., & Bandelli, NL. (2017) Impact of NFL PLAY 60 programming on elementary school children's body mass index and aerobic capacity: The NFL PLAY 60 FitnessGram Partnership Project. Journal of School Health.
- Bai, Y., Saint-Maurice, PF., Welk, GJ., Russell, DW., Allums-Featherston, KA., & Norman, C. (2017) The longitudinal effects of Physical Activity Promotion Programming on Youth Fitness in a Participatory Network. American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
- Saint-Maurice, PF., Welk, GJ., Anderson, K. & Bai, Y. (2016) Agreement between estimates of VO2 predicted from PACER and One-Mile Run time equated laps. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport.
- Bai, Y., Saint-Maurice, PF., Welk, G.J., Allums-Featherston, KA., & Norman, C. (2016) Explaining disparities in youth aerobic fitness and body mass index: relative impact of socioeconomic and minority status. Journal of School Health.
- Bai, Y., Chen, S., Laurson, K., Kim, Y., Saint-Maurice, P., & Welk, G.J. (2016) The Associations of Youth Physical Activity and Screen Time with Fatness and Fitness: A Cross Sectional Study. Plos One. 11(1): e0148038. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0148038
- Welk G.J, Bai Y., Saint-Maurice PF, Candeleria N, Allums-Featherston KA, & Anderson K. (2016) Design and Evaluation of the NFL PLAY 60 FITNESSGRAM Partnership Project. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 87(1):1-13. DOI: 10.1080/02701367.2015.1127126.
- Bai, Y., Saint-Maurice, PF., Welk, G.J., Allums-Featherston, KA., Norman, C., & Anderson, K. (2015) Prevalence of youth fitness in U.S.: Baseline results from the NFL PLAY 60 FITNESSGRAM project. Journal of Pediatrics. 167(3):662-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2015.05.035
- Bai, Y., Welk G.J., Nam, Y.H., Lee, J.A., Lee, J.M., Kim, Y., Meier, N.F., & Dixon, P.M. (2015). Comparison of consumer and research monitors under semi-structured settings. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 48(1):151-8. DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000727
- Bai, Y., Chen, S., Vazou, S., Welk, G.J., & Schaben, J. (2015). Mediated effects of perceived competence on youth physical activity and sedentary behavior. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 86(4):406-13. DOI:10.1080/02701367.2015.1087639
- Lee, J.M., Kim, Y., Bai Y., Gaesser, G.A., & Welk, G.J. (2014) Validation of the SenseWear mini armband in children during semi-Structure activity settings. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 19(1):41-5. DOI:10.1016/j.jsams.2014.10.004
- Saint-Maurice, P., Welk, G.J., Bai, Y., Featherston, K.A. (2014). Comparison of screening methods for evaluating school-level fitness patterns in youth: Findings from the NFL PLAY 60 FITNESSGRAM Partnership Project. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine. doi: 10.4236/ojpm.2014.411099
- Chen, S., Bai, Y., Welk, G.J., Vazou, S., & Schaben, J. (2014) Measurement and Invariance Characteristics of Youth Physical Activity Correlates. 18(2):172-7. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. DOI:10.1016/j.jsams.2014.03.002
- Kim, Y., Lee, J.M., Laurson, K., Bai, Y., Gaesser, G.A., & Welk, G.J. (2014) Accuracy of neck circumference in classifying overweight and obese US children. ISRN Obesity. 2014:781841. doi:10.1155/2014/781841.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
- Physical activity and fitness assessment and epidemiology
- School-based youth activity and healthy eating promotion
- Validation of consumer and research activity monitors
- Behavior change with technology
- (802) 656-8146
310P Rowell Hall
- RMS 220 - Research Method I