Community Development and Applied Economics
Chair - Jane Kolodinsky
Jane Kolodinsky, PhD Professor and Chair
- PhD 1988 Cornell University
- MBA 1983 Kent State University
- BS 1981 Kent State University
Areas of Expertise:
applied economics, consumer policy, food system, marketing
Contact InformationOffice: 202 Morrill Hall
Since 1987, Dr. Kolodinsky has been a faculty member in CDAE at the University of Vermont and is now Professor in and Chair of CDAE and Director of the Center for Rural Studies. SDr. Kolodinsky specializes in applied economics- the application of the concepts of demand, consumer behavior, and marketing principles to improve consumer wellbeing. Recently, she has been researching and exploring issues of obesity. Dr. Kolodinsky has over 200 academic publications, and has garnered competitive grant funds from almost 50 different sources. She has been recognized for her teaching and public service, and in the continued development of CDAE as a transdisciplinary department relevant to community needs in Vermont, nationally, and around the globe. She has a robust interest in Food Systems, serving on the Food Systems Master's faculty and steering committee, which she also chaired.
- PA 303: Research & Evaluation Methods
- CDAE 191: Special Problems
- CDAE 255: Applied Consumption Economics
- CDAE 351: Research Methods
- Academic Journal Articles
- Sitaker, Marilyn Jane Kolodinsky, Stephanie Jilcott Pitts, and Rebecca Seguin (accepted, Nov. 2013). Do entrepreneurial food systems innovations impact rural economies and health? Evidence and gaps. Journal of Entrepreneurship, Special Issue on Rural Entrepreneurship.
- Becot, Florence A., David S. Conner, Jane M. Kolodinsky, and V. Ernesto Méndez (revised 2013). Measuring the costs of production and pricing on diversified farms: Juggling decisions amidst uncertainties. Journal of American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers.
- Kolodinsky, Jane (2014). Food Safety. Contributor. Consumer Survival: An Encyclopedia of Consumer Safety and Protection (Reiboldt, W., & Horn Mallers, M., eds. Consumer Survival [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Consumer Rights, Safety, and Protection [Wendy Reiboldt, Melanie Horn Mallers] pp. 460-464 ABC-CLIO Publishers.
- Kolodinsky, Jane (2014). Food Labeling. Contributor. Consumer Survival: An Encyclopedia of Consumer Safety and Protection (Reiboldt, W., & Horn Mallers, M., eds). Pp. 452-460. ABC-CLIO Publishers.
- Kolodinsky, Jane, DeSisto, Thomas, Propen, David, Putnam, Mathew, Roche, Erin, and Sawyer, W. (2013). It's not how far you go, it's whether you can get there: Modeling the effect of mobility on quality of life in a northern rural climate. Journal of Transport Geography. 31 (2013) 113–122 (IF 2.53)
- Kolodinsky, J, R. Johnson, R. Watts, S. Heiss, and M. Moser (2013). Exercising Our Right to Health with Excise Taxes on Sugary Beverages. Food Politic: Journal of Food News and Culture. May 7. Available: http://www.foodpolitic.com/exercising-our-right-to-health-with-excise-taxes-on-sugary-beverages
- Berlin, Linda, Jane Kolodinsky, and Kim Norris (2013). Farm-to-School: Implications for Child Nutrition. Journal of School Health. 83(8): 589-95. (IF 1.34)
- Roche, Conner, Kolodinsky, Buckwalter, Berlin, Powers (2012). Social cognitive theory as a framework for considering farm to school programming. Childhood Obesity. (8: 4), 322-328.
- Li, M., Q. Wang, and J. Kolodinsky (2012). "Estimating the optimal premium rates for credential food attributes:
- A case study in the northeast United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research. Volume 43, Issue 2: 51-63.
- Becot, F., Nickerson, V., Conner, D. & Kolodinsky, J. (2012). Costs of Food Safety Certification on Fresh Produce Farms in Vermont. HortTechnology, 22(5). (IF .44)
- Kolodinsky, J., Roche, E., DeSisto, T., Sawyer, W., and D. Propen (2012). Understanding Quality of Life in a Northern Rural Climate. Journal of the Community Development Society. DOI:10.1080/15575330.2012.720580
- Anderson, L., Chase, L., Mastrangelo, C., Kestenbaum, D., and J. Kolodinsky (2012). Eco-labeling motor-coach operators in the North American travel tour industry: analyzing the role of tour operators. Journal of Sustainable Tourism Ifirst, 1-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09669582.2012.709859. (IF 1.92)
- Kolodinsky, Jane, Naomi K Fukagawa, Erin Roche, Cynthia Belliveau, and Haylley Johnson (2012). Walking the Talk of Food Systems at a Small Land Grant University. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development (JAFSCD). Spring. http://dx.doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2012.023.015, pp. 1–11.
- Kolodinsky, Jane (2012). A Systems Approach to Food Future Proofs the Home Economics Profession. Book Chapter. Pendergast, D., McGregor, S. & Turkki, K. (2012). Creating Home Economics Futures: The Next 100 Years. Australian Academic Press: Brisbane. ISBN:9781921513961
- Kolodinsky, Jane (2012). Persistence of Health Labeling Information Asymmetry in the United States: Historical Perspectives and 21st Century Problems. Journal of Macromarketing. Advance Publication, April 26, 2012, DOI: 10.1177/0276146711434829. 32 Issue 2 June 2012 pp. 193 - 207. (1.14)
- Conner, D., King, B., Kolodinsky, J., Roche, E., Koliba, C. and Trubek, A. (2012). You can know your school and feed it too: Vermont farmers' motivations and distribution practices in direct sales to school food services. Agriculture and Human Values. Online first publication: http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s10460-012-9357-y (1.54)
- Reynolds, T., Kolodinsky, J. and B. Murray (2012). Consumer preferences and willingness to pay for compact fluorescent lighting: Policy implications for energy efficiency promotion in Saint Lucia. Energy Policy. Volume 41, Pages 712-722. (3.19)
- Pollak, N., L. Chase, C. Ginger and J. Kolodinsky (2012). The Northern Forest Canoe Trail: Economic impacts and implications for community development. Journal of Community Development. 1–14, Volume 43, Issue 2, pages 244-258 Available: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/15575330.2011.583354
- Schmidt, M., J. Kolodinsky, T. DeSisto, and F. Conte (2011). Supporting a Local Food System: Evaluating a Model that Connects Farmers to Markets to Increase Farm Profitability and Local Food Access. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems and Community Development. 1(4): 1-19. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2011.014.017
- King, Benjamin, David Conner, Christopher Koliba, Amy Trubek and Jane Kolodinsky (2011). Mapping Farm to School Networks Implications for Research and Practice. Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition. 6(2): 133 – 152.
- Roche, Erin, and J. Kolodinsky (2011). Overcoming barriers to provide local produce in school lunches in Vermont. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development . Volume 1, Issue 3 / Winter 2010–2011. Available: PDF
- Kolodinsky, Jane, and Amanda Goldstein (2011). Time-Use and Food Pattern Influences on Obesity. Obesity. Advanced on-line publication: May 26, 2011; doi:10.1038/oby.2011.130
- Kolodinsky, Jane (2011). Diet/Nutrition. In Green Culture, Robbins, P. Wehr, K. Golson, K., and J. Geoffrey, eds. (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage).
- Zhang, W, Wang, Q., and J. Kolodinsky (2010). The digital divide in Internet information searching: A double-hurdle model analysis of household data from Vermont, First Monday, Volume 15, Number 11 - 1 November 2010. Available: http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3118
- Kolodinsky, Jane, Amanda Goldstein, and Erin Roche (2010). Childhood Obesity, Food Choice and Market Influence. In Bagchi, Debasis, editor. Global Perspectives on Childhood Obesity. Elsevier.
- Kolodinsky, Jane. (2010). So You Want to be an Expert Witness? Journal of Consumer Affairs 44(3): 607-610.
- Baker, D., K. Hamshaw and J. Kolodinsky (2009). Who Shops at the Market? Using Consumer Surveys to Grow Farmers' Markets: Findings from a Regional Market in Northwestern Vermont. Journal of Extension. December 2009 // Volume 47 // Number 6 // Feature Articles // 6FEA2.
- Baker, D., C. Koliba, J. Kolodinsky, K. Liang, E. McMahon, T. Patterson, and Q. Wang (2009). “Moving toward a trans-disciplinary approach in the land grant system: A case study.” NACTA Journal 53: 34-42.
- Kolodinsky, J., Travis Reynolds , Mark Cannella, David Timmons, and Daniel Bromberg (2009). U.S. Consumer Demand for Restaurant Calorie Information: Targeting Demographic and Behavioral Segments in Labeling Initiatives. American Journal of Health Promotion. Sept/Oct 2009, V24, I1, 11
- Kolodinsky, Jane and Erin Roche (2009). Objective Measures as a Predictor of Late Payments in High Risk Borrowers. International Journal of Consumer Studies: Special Issue on Housing. 33:5: pp591-95.
- Kolodinsky J, Goldstein A, Hyman J, Roche E. (2009). Household food and beverage purchasing. J Am Diet Assoc. June; 09(6):982-3.
- Kolodinsky, Jane and Travis Reynolds (2009). Social Marketing and Segmentation of Overweight Americans. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. Mar 8; 6-13.
- Conference Proceedings
- Jane Kolodinsky, R.K. Johnson, J. Harvey-Berino, L. Berlin, (2009, in press). Providing Nutrition Information at the Point of Sale in a Dining Service Environment American Council on Consumer Interests.
- Jane Kolodinsky, Amanda Goldstein (2009 forthcoming). Moving toward the transdisciplinary: Using multiple data sets to examine overweight in America. American Council on Consumer Interests.
- Kolodinsky, Jane (2008). Obesity and Time Use- A First Look Using ATUS Data. American Council on Consumer Interests.
- Kolodinsky, Jane, and Thomas Desisto (2007). A Household Production Approach to Overweight: A Model and Preliminary Estimates. American Council on Consumer Interests.
- Hogarth, J., J. Kolodinsky, and T. Gabor. 2006. Consumer payment choices: paper, plastic - or electrons? American Council on Consumer Interests.
- Dillon, A. and J. Kolodinsky. 2006. Heterogeneity in opinion of GMO products and demand for GMO labels: an exploratory cluster analyses using Vermont and national samples. American Council on Consumer Interests.
Honors and Awards
- FSLI (Food Systems Leadership) Faculty Fellow, 2007-08
- Vogelman Award for Research Excellence 2005
- UVM Vermonters in Pursuit of Research Excellence Award 2000
- Fulbright Senior Fellowship, Institute for Social Medicine and the Hanover (Hanover, Germany) 1998
- American Council on Consumer Interests Mid-Career Award for Professional Achievements and Service to the Organization 1997
- State Agricultural Experiment Station, College of Agriculture Leadership Development Program (ESCOP/ACOP) 1996-1997
- HERS Women in Higher Education Administration Program Fellowship 1995-1996
- Carrigan Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching 1994
- 1989 American Council on Consumer Interests Dissertation Award
- American Council on Consumer Interests
- Jane Kolodinsky, Chair
- Lisa Aultman-Hall
- Jay Ashman
- Daniel Baker
- David Conner
- Thomas Desisto
- Chris Evans
- Joshua Farley
- Charles Ferreira
- Diane Gayer
- Sarah Heiss
- Shoshanah Inwood
- Christopher Koliba
- Jonathan Leonard
- Chyi-Lyi (Kathleen) Liang
- Edward McMahon
- Bob Parsons
- Thomas Patterson
- Jane Petrillo
- Fred Schmidt
- Tao Sun
- Qingbin Wang
- Richard Watts
- Asim Zia