University of Vermont

College of Arts and Sciences

Resources for Current Students


The Office of Transfer Affairs determines which courses transfer from other institutions by examining the official transcript and the calculated semester hours. The GPA from another institution does not transfer to UVM; only credits have the potential of transferring. Keep in mind that although courses may transfer, they may not satisfy particular Arts and Sciences degree requirements. Current UVM students are expected to have any classes taken at another U.S. domestic institution pre-approved by the Office of Transfer Affairs before they enroll in the class. To start this process, complete an on-line form available on the Transfer Affairs website.

Transferring credits has two parts:

  1. the transcript review to determine if courses will be accepted for transfer and
  2. determination of how transferred credits meet specific requirements.

The steps are as follows:

Step 1: Have official transcript(s) sent to:

Office of Transfer Affairs
University of Vermont
360 Waterman Building
Burlington, VT 05405

Phone: 802/656-0867

Step 2: Access Transfer Affairs Evaluation after their review

Log in to your My UVM Portal using your UVM NetID and email password. Click on "Transfer Credit Evaluation" located in the Academics section.

Step 3: Run a CATS audit report

Your CATS audit will show if transferred credits fulfill specific requirements or if they are electives. Log in to your My UVM Portal using your UVM NetID and email password. Click on "Cats for Students" located in the Academics section.

  1. Only 3-credit courses can fulfill distribution, major and minor requirements. In the case where a class transfers as a fraction, 2.50 credits or higher can fulfill a 3-credit course requirement.
  2. 0XX, XXX, or 1XX course numbers
    These numbers represent courses that have successfully been transferred but are not an exact number match to a UVM course. Check your CATS Audit to see how they have been applied to requirements or electives. In some cases further review may be required by a Department Chair or their designee.
    The Dean's Office must be notified by the department if the 0XX, XXX, or 1XX transfer credit meets a major or minor requirement.
  • General Requirements
    The Race Relations and Ethnicity and the Non-European Cultures Requirements can only be fulfilled by specific classes. If a transferred class is an exact match it will automatically fulfill the requirement.
  • Diversity Requirement
    In order to determine if a transferred course will satisfy the D1 or D2 Diversity requirement, please reference the Registrar's website at: Click on Undergraduate Transfer Credit and scroll down to Transfer Credit and Diversity Requirement.
  • Distribution Requirements
    Note that some categories require one course in a certain area, while others require courses at a particular level or number. For example, the Fine Arts requirement can be fulfilled by any 3-credit Art History, Dance, Film and Television Studies, Studio Art, Music, or Theatre course. If a course transferred as ARTS 0XX or ART XXX, it will fulfill the requirement.
    However, in the case where a Math class transferred as 0XX, Transfer Affairs will need further information to determine if it will fulfill the Mathematical Sciences requirement. You may need to provide a syllabus to Transfer Affairs who will send it to the Math Department for review.
  • Major/Minor Requirements
    If a transferred course matches the subject prefix of your major or minor department, it will be included in the total credits required for the major/minor. However, it may not satisfy a specific major/minor course requirement. Further review of these courses may be necessary.
  • Elective Credits
    All credit that has officially transferred will either apply towards one of the above requirements or it will be counted as part of 120 credits minimum, as elective credit.
  • For questions about transfer credits fulfilling Major or Minor requirements, contact the Department Chair affiliated with the major/minor.
  • For unresolved transfer credits, contact Transfer Affairs.
  • Other questions, contact College of Arts and Sciences Student Services at 802/656-3344 or

More information

UVM Transfer Policy (pdf)

Last modified April 02 2015 07:57 PM

Contact UVM © 2015 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131