Department Chair's Handbook
Professional Development Funds (Article 21 of the CBA)
Each department has a professional development fund to support faculty travel for professional development or for use in other professional development activities. Each CAS department has its own professional development guidelines, which outline the criteria and procedures for the distribution of these funds. These departmental guidelines are posted on Sharepoint: Professional Development Fund Policies
- FY 13 $1,225 per general fund FTE bargaining unit member
- FY 14 $1,250 per general fund FTE bargaining unit member
Professional development funds (PDF) are distributed to departments from Central and distributed to faculty according to specific departmental guidelines. Faculty apply in writing to their Chair who makes final decisions about allocation of funds based on department guidelines; availability of funds; completing applications; and the relevance and benefit, short and long term, of the proposed use of PDF to the faculty member and department.
- Faculty on sabbatical or professional development leave have the right to apply for professional development funds for authorized expenses.
- All funds not encumbered or expended by May 1st of each academic year become part of a resource pool for re-distribution by the Chair to other faculty who demonstrate special needs. No funds may be rolled over into the next fiscal year.
- Faculty holding external grants are expected to use grant funds specifically designated for professional development purposes prior to applying for PDF.
- In no instance may professional development funds be used for salaries.
- As part of the annual performance review, faculty shall incorporate into their activity report a description of the activities, accomplishments, and outcomes resulting from the use of PDF.
Acceptable Uses of PDF:
Last modified April 30 2015 06:44 PM