University of Vermont

Watershed Research Lab

student opportunities

Information for Prospective Graduate Students

Apologies in advance! Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, I may not be able to respond to you directly. Please don't interpret a non-response from me as no interest. I read all emails from students and keep these on file, so please do send me your CV and let me know your interests. I've attempted to provide sufficient information on the Bowden Watershed Reseearch Lab web site to help you determine if graduate work with me here at the Rubenstein School at UVM will meet your interests and needs. The following initial thoughts may be helpful to get you started.

Applying to graduate school can be a somewhat mysterious process that varies from university to university. To learn a little bit about my personal perspective on how the process works at the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources and the University of Vermont, click here. For a brochure on doing graduate work at the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, click here. Note that I am unable to offer a position to a student if they do not have a completed application on file with the Graduate College at UVM. This can be done easily over the web, here. If you are interested in graduate work at UVM, you should ensure that you have a completed and current application on file. Even if I don't have a position open, there may be other faculty who do have an opportunity that would be of interest to you. If you have an application on file, they will see it.

Resources to support graduate research projects are unpredictable and difficult to secure. There are never enough funds to support all of the bright and qualified applicants that contact me about graduate research opportunities. The good news, however, is that there opportunities do exist and I am constantly on the lookout for new resources to support graduate research and study in my lab. These opportunities for gaduate student support can come up throughout the year, not just for September starts. So there are sometimes opportunities for January and June starts. There are some opportunities that are open to you directly. I encourage you to look, for example, at the ORISE site, here. Also, both EPA and NSF have graduate fellowship programs that you may want to look into. You can find information about these programs on the respective agency websites.

Again, thanks for visiting my website and for your interest in my research. I hope the information you find here will be helpful.


Last modified August 28 2013 01:02 PM

Contact UVM © 2019 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131