Accounting Concentration

Most accounting students plan for a career in accounting and work toward obtaining professional certification as either a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or a Certified Management Accountant (CMA). Students intending to pursue this path should choose an accounting concentration and plan to obtain a Master of Accountancy immediately following completion of their undergraduate degree.

Other students choose an accounting concentration to obtain an understanding of the financial activities of the firm. They then apply this understanding to a career outside of the accounting profession itself. For example, a student might go on to law school or use his or her accounting knowledge to enhance a career in finance or another field.

All business students enroll in two accounting courses during their sophomore year: BSAD 60, Financial Accounting, and BSAD 61, Managerial Accounting. These courses provide an introductory foundation for the accounting program. Students begin taking concentration courses in the fall semester of their junior year.

UVM offers a 5th year Master of Accountancy degree (MAcc).

Concentration Courses

Required for Juniors:

Accounting Electives for Seniors

The requirements to sit for the CPA examination vary among states, so students who plan to sit for the examination outside of Vermont are advised to contact the state's Board of Accountancy to obtain current requirements (See for addresses and additional information).

Careers in accounting include auditing, tax, governmental accounting, and corporate accounting or a combination of these areas. Recent accounting students are currently employed in all of the "Big Four" international firms, McGladrey, and local CPA firms, as well as in public and private companies.


Dr. Barbara Arel
307 Kalkin Hall
(802) 656-5478

Dr. Stephen Dempsey
306 Kalkin Hall
(802) 656-8322

Dr. Susan Hughes
Director, Master of Accountancy Program
314 Kalkin Hall
(802) 656-0504

Joanne Pencak
309 Kalkin Hall
(802) 656-0513

Glenn Walberg
313a Kalkin Hall
(802) 656-5774