- Associate Professor
- Arel, Barbara Ph.D.
- Beaudoin, Cathy A. Ph.D.
- Bonifield, Carolyn M Ph.D.
- Cats-Baril, William L. Ph.D.
- Dempsey, Stephen J. Ph.D.
- Gove, Steven F Ph.D.
- Hughes, Susan B. Ph.D.
- Jones, David A. Ph.D.
- Lucas, Marilyn T. Ph.D.
- Monsen, Erik Ph.D
- Novak, David Ph.D.
- Parke, E. Lauck Ph.D.
- Prevost, Andrew
- Tomas III, Michael J. Ph.D.
- Vanden Bergh, Richard G. Ph.D.
- Zhang, Chun Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
- Lecturer/Sr Lecturer
- Lecturer (Part Time)
- Faculty Emeritus
Charles R Schnitzlein, Ph.D. Professor, Steven Grossman Endowed Chair in Finance
Contact InformationOffice: 211 Kalkin
Phone: (802) 656-9281
Office Hours: By Appointment
Dr. Schnitzlein is the Steven Grossman Endowed Chair in Finance in the School of Business at the University of Vermont. He joined the faculty of the University of Vermont in 2014. Previously he held faculty positions at the University of Central Florida where he was doctoral program coordinator, the University of Arizona, and the University of Miami. He has also taught in the executive MBA program at the University of Illinois. He earned his Ph.D. in Finance from Washington University in St. Louis.
Professor Schnitzlein's research applies the tools of experimental economics to financial market design issues. He has published his work in the top finance journals, including the Journal of Finance, the Review of Financial Studies, the Journal of Business, and the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, and he serves as an associate editor for the Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions, & Money. He frequently participates in scholarly meetings and he has made invited research presentations at over 25 universities in the United States and Europe.
Over the course of his academic career Professor Schnitzlein has taught doctoral level seminars in market microstructure and behavioral finance, investment analysis and portfolio theory to both undergraduate and graduate students, and the core MBA finance course. At the University of Vermont he teaches investment analysis and portfolio management, and the core finance course in the new Sustainable Entrepreneurship MBA program.
In addition to teaching and research Professor Schnitzlein has served on the Investment Committee for the University of Central Florida Foundation, and as advisor to the investment committee of a large central Florida philanthropy. Prior to commencing his doctoral studies he lived and worked in Europe for five years.
Journal Article, Academic Journal
- Schnitzlein, C.; Camargo, E. M.; Sade, O.; Zender, J. - "On the persistence of overconfidence" - Journal of Behavioral Finance - 2015
- Schnitzlein, C.; Shao, M. - "Capacity constraints and the winner???s curse in multi-unit common value auctions" (Refereed) - The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance - 2013 - pp. 188-201
- Schnitzlein, C.; Camargo, E. M.; Sade, O.; Zender, J. - "Divisible good auctions with asymmetric information" (Refereed) - Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis - 2013 - pp. 1271-1300
- Schnitzlein, C.; Sade, O.; Zender, J. - "Asymmetry in divisible good auctions: when less (potential demand) is more (revenue)" (Refereed) - Review of Finance - 2006 - pp. 389-416
- Schnitzlein, C.; Sade, O.; Zender, J. - "Competition and Cooperation in Divisible Good Auctions" (Refereed) - The Review of Financial Studies - 2006 - pp. 195-235
- Schnitzlein, C.; de Jong, C.; Koedijk, K. - "Stock market quality in the presence of a traded option" (Refereed) - The Journal of Business - 2006 - pp. 2243-2274
- Schnitzlein, C.; Lamoureux, C. - "Microstructure with Multiple Assets: An Experimental Investigation into Direct and Indirect Dealer Competition" (Refereed) - Journal of Financial Markets - 2004
- Schnitzlein, C. - "Price Formation and Market Quality When the Number and Presence of Insiders Is Unknown" (Refereed) - The Review of Financial Studies - 2002 - pp. 1077-1109
- Schnitzlein, C.; Lamoureux, C. - "When It's Not the Only Game in Town: The Effect of Bilateral Search on the Quality of a Dealer Market" (Refereed) - The Journal of Finance - 1997 - pp. 683-712
- Schnitzlein, C. - "Call and Continuous Trading Mechanisms Under Asymmetric Information: An Experimental Investigation" (Refereed) - The Journal of Finance - 1996 - pp. 613-636