- Associate Professor
- Arel, Barbara Ph.D.
- Beaudoin, Cathy A. Ph.D.
- Bonifield, Carolyn M Ph.D.
- Cats-Baril, William L. Ph.D.
- Dempsey, Stephen J. Ph.D.
- Hughes, Susan B. Ph.D.
- Jones, David A. Ph.D.
- Lucas, Marilyn T. Ph.D.
- Monsen, Erik Ph.D
- Novak, David Ph.D.
- Parke, E. Lauck Ph.D.
- Tomas III, Michael J. Ph.D.
- Vanden Bergh, Richard G. Ph.D.
- Zhang, Chun Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
- Lecturer/Sr Lecturer
- Lecturer (Part Time)
- Faculty Emeritus
Rocki-Lee DeWitt, Ph.D. Professor
Contact InformationOffice: 316 Kalkin
Phone: (802) 656-0043
Office Hours: After class or by appointment or by appointment
Dr. DeWitt is a Professor of Management in the School of Business at the University of Vermont. She earned her Ph.D. at Columbia University in strategic management, her M.S. at The Ohio State University in agricultural economics and her B.S. in marketing and management at New York University. Dr. DeWitt worked for International Harvester and Case-IH in a variety of sales management roles, assisting the companies' efforts to enhance the marketing and inventory management practices of their agricultural dealer network.
Dr. DeWitt is committed to teaching innovation and student and alumni engagement in case research. She has received numerous teaching awards and presented her teaching innovations at multiple national conferences. Her research on downsizing and restructuring has been published in top tier journals. Dr. DeWitt's current research focuses on anomalies in family business and on the evolution of land-based, value-added industries, especially those where family businesses have played a substantive role in industry evolution. She is the STEP Team Leader for the University of Vermont, a member of Editorial Board of the Family Business Review, a member of the Board of Directors of Yankee Farm Credit (an ACA), and sits on the Greater Burlington Industrial Council. Dr. DeWitt has been a member of the Board of Governors of Beta Gamma Sigma and a member of the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce.
From 2002 until 2009, Dr. DeWitt served as the Dean of the School of Business Administration at the University of Vermont. As Dean, she lead the reaffirmation of the school's accreditation by AACSB, hired 15 of the school's 27 tenure track faculty, increased the number of endowed faculty fellowships and professorships, and helped build a management development and executive education presence. Prior to her arrival, Dr. DeWitt was the Associate Dean for Professional Masters Programs at the Pennsylvania State University.
Journal Article, Academic Journal
- Bergh, D. D.; Johnson, R. A.; DeWitt, R. - "Restructuring Through Spin-Off or Sell-Off: Transforming Information Asymmetries Into Financial Gain" (Refereed) - Strategic Management Journal - 2008 - v. 29, no. 2, pp. 133-148 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R.; Trevino, L. K.; Mollica, K. A. - "Stuck in the Middle: A Control-Based Model of Managers' Reactions to Their Subordinates' Layoffs" (Refereed) - Journal of Managerial Issues - 2003 - v. 15, no. 1, pp. 32-49 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Mollica, K. A.; DeWitt, R. - "When others retire early: What about me?" (Refereed) - Academy of Management Journal - 2000 - v. 43, pp. 1068-1075 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R. - "Firm, industry, and strategy influences on choice of downsizing approach" (Refereed) - Strategic Management Journal - 1998 - v. 19, pp. 59-79 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R.; Trevino, L. K.; Mollica, K. A. - "The influence of eligibility on employees' reactions to voluntary workforce reductions" (Refereed) - Journal of Management - 1998 - v. 24, no. 5, pp. 593-613 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Brockner, J.; Wiesnefeld, B.; Stephan, J.; Hurley, R.; Grover, S.; Reed, T.; DeWitt, R.; Martin, C. - "The effects on layoff survivors of their fellow survivors' reactions" (Refereed) - Journal of Applied Social Psychology - 1997 - v. 27, pp. 835-863
- DeWitt, R. - "The structural consequences of downsizing" (Refereed) - Organization Science - 1993 - v. 4, pp. 30-40
- Brockner, J.; Grover, S.; Reed, T. F.; DeWitt, R. - "Layoffs, job insecurity, and survivors' work effort: Evidence of an inverted-U relationship" (Refereed) - Academy of Management Journal - 1992 - v. 35, pp. 413-425
- Brockner, J.; DeWitt, R.; Grover, S.; Reed, T. F. - "When it is especially important to explain why: Factors affecting the relationship between managers" (Refereed) - Journal of Experimental Social Psychology - 1990 - v. 26, pp. 389-407
- Brockner, J.; Grover, S.; Reed, T. F.; DeWitt, R.; O'Malley, M. - "Survivors' reactions to layoffs: We get by with a little help for our friends" (Refereed) - Administrative Science Quarterly - 1987 - v. 32, no. 4, pp. 526-541 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R. - "Business Ethics in the Academic World" (Refereed) - Corporate Social Responsibility Workshop - 2003
- DeWitt, R. - "Building blocks for leadership accomplishment" - Women's Leadership Conference, Human Resource Development Center - 2000
Book, Chapter in Scholarly Book-New
- DeWitt, R.; Gonzalez Leon, A. - (Forthcoming) "Successful Family Business Ownership Transitions: Leveraging Tacit Knowledge" (Refereed) - Edward Elgar - 2014 - pp. 88-109 ,
- DeWitt, R.; cristina, a. - (Forthcoming) "Family-business to family-business: The role of experience and socio-emotional wealth in business continuity" (Refereed) - Edward Elgar - 2013 - v. 2, ,
- DeWitt, R. - "Good Downsizing" (Refereed) - "Downsizing: Is Less Still More?"/Cambridge University Press - 2012 - pp. 326-355 ,
- DeWitt, R.; Harrigan, K. R. - "Leveraging Old Economy Fundamentals for the New World" - Pushing the Digital Frontier - 2001 - pp. 49-58 ,
- DeWitt, R.; Harrigan, K. R.; Newman, W. H. - "Downsizing strategically" (Refereed) - Advances in applied business strategy - 1998 - v. 5, pp. 21-36 ,
- Thomas, J. B.; DeWitt, R. - "Strategic alignment research and practice: A review and agenda" (Refereed) - Strategic Alignment in Practice/Oxford University Press - 1996 - pp. 385-403 ,
Written Case with Instructional Material
- DeWitt, R. - "Is It a Business or Way of Life? (Revised)" - University of Vermont - 2006 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R.; Simko, S. - "American Education Corporation (A)" - 2000
- DeWitt, R.; Simko, S. - "The K-12 Educational Software Industry and Competitor Note" - 2000
- DeWitt, R. - "Wells Fargo & Company: Brand New Opportunities" - 1999
- DeWitt, R.; Mollica, K. A.; Trevino, L. K. - "Report to GPU Help Employees Team on GPU Employee Readiness For Change" - GPU - 1995
- DeWitt, R.; Vicere, A. A.; Freeman, V. T.; Cavinato, J. L. - "Issues in Rshaping AMC" - Army Materiel Command - 1993
- DeWitt, R. - "A stakeholder perspective on restructuring performance" - 2006
- DeWitt, R.; Ifshin, A. W. - (Forthcoming) "DLC Management: Securing Its Future" (Refereed) - Case Research Journal/NACRA - 2013 - v. 33, no. 2, pp. 109-136 [Show/Hide Abstract]