- Associate Professor
- Arel, Barbara Ph.D.
- Beaudoin, Cathy A. Ph.D.
- Bonifield, Carolyn M Ph.D.
- Cats-Baril, William L. Ph.D.
- Dempsey, Stephen J. Ph.D.
- Gove, Steven F Ph.D.
- Hughes, Susan B. Ph.D.
- Jones, David A. Ph.D.
- Lucas, Marilyn T. Ph.D.
- Monsen, Erik Ph.D
- Novak, David Ph.D.
- Parke, E. Lauck Ph.D.
- Prevost, Andrew
- Tomas III, Michael J. Ph.D.
- Vanden Bergh, Richard G. Ph.D.
- Zhang, Chun Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
- Lecturer/Sr Lecturer
- Lecturer (Part Time)
- Faculty Emeritus
Rocki-Lee DeWitt, Ph.D. Professor
Contact InformationOffice: 316 Kalkin
Phone: (802) 656-0043
Office Hours: T 4:00 -5:30, W 4:30-6:00 or by appointment
Dr. DeWitt is a Professor of Management in the School of Business at the University of Vermont. She earned her Ph.D. at Columbia University in strategic management, her M.S. at The Ohio State University in agricultural economics and her B.S. in marketing and management at New York University.
Dr. DeWitt is an experienced business leaders and manager, having been the Dean of the business school at UVM from 2002 until 2009, the Associate Dean for Professional Masters Programs in the Smeal College of Business at Penn State, and a parts sales manager for International Harvester and Case-IH. She is known for driving improvements in client relationship management, human resource management practice and applications of information technology.
Dr. DeWitt's current research focuses on anomalies in family business including intergenerational innovation in the face of leadership and ownership disruption and the critical role of non-family key persons. She is especially interested in the role of family businesses in the evolution of land-based, value-added industries, including REITs, paper-based packaging, branded produce, western wear, and golf courses. Prior to research on family businesses, she studied downsizing and restructuring. Her research has been published in top tier journals including Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of Management, Administrative Quarterly and the Case Research Journal.
She is know for teaching innovations and student and alumni engagement in case research. She has received numerous teaching awards and presented her teaching innovations at multiple national conferences.
She is a FOBI Scholar, the STEP Team Leader for the University of Vermont, Chairperson of the North American Council of STEP, a member of Editorial Board of the Family Business Review, a member of the Board of Directors of Yankee Farm Credit (an ACA) and chair of its Audit Committee, and sits on the Greater Burlington Industrial Council. Dr. DeWitt has also been a member of the Board of Governors of Beta Gamma Sigma and a member of the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Fall 2014, HCOL 185 0
TR 2:30 - 3:45
Courses Currently Taught by Rocki-Lee DeWitt:
- BSAD 191 - Strategy and Competition SP 2015
- Section C, 002 Kalkin 4:05-7:05 M
- Section D, 002 Kalkin 4:05-7:05 W
- BSAD 196 - Special Topics SP 2015
- Business Issues and Communication - Section B, 002 Kalkin 17:30-18:45 TR
Journal Article, Academic Journal
- Bergh, D. D.; Johnson, R. A.; DeWitt, R. - "Restructuring Through Spin-Off or Sell-Off: Transforming Information Asymmetries Into Financial Gain" (Refereed) - Strategic Management Journal - 2008 - v. 29, no. 2, pp. 133-148 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R.; Trevino, L. K.; Mollica, K. A. - "Stuck in the Middle: A Control-Based Model of Managers' Reactions to Their Subordinates' Layoffs" (Refereed) - Journal of Managerial Issues - 2003 - v. 15, no. 1, pp. 32-49 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Mollica, K. A.; DeWitt, R. - "When others retire early: What about me?" (Refereed) - Academy of Management Journal - 2000 - v. 43, pp. 1068-1075 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R. - "Firm, industry, and strategy influences on choice of downsizing approach" (Refereed) - Strategic Management Journal - 1998 - v. 19, pp. 59-79 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R.; Trevino, L. K.; Mollica, K. A. - "The influence of eligibility on employees' reactions to voluntary workforce reductions" (Refereed) - Journal of Management - 1998 - v. 24, no. 5, pp. 593-613 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- Brockner, J.; Wiesnefeld, B.; Stephan, J.; Hurley, R.; Grover, S.; Reed, T.; DeWitt, R.; Martin, C. - "The effects on layoff survivors of their fellow survivors' reactions" (Refereed) - Journal of Applied Social Psychology - 1997 - v. 27, pp. 835-863
- DeWitt, R. - "The structural consequences of downsizing" (Refereed) - Organization Science - 1993 - v. 4, pp. 30-40
- Brockner, J.; Grover, S.; Reed, T. F.; DeWitt, R. - "Layoffs, job insecurity, and survivors' work effort: Evidence of an inverted-U relationship" (Refereed) - Academy of Management Journal - 1992 - v. 35, pp. 413-425
- Brockner, J.; DeWitt, R.; Grover, S.; Reed, T. F. - "When it is especially important to explain why: Factors affecting the relationship between managers" (Refereed) - Journal of Experimental Social Psychology - 1990 - v. 26, pp. 389-407
- Brockner, J.; Grover, S.; Reed, T. F.; DeWitt, R.; O'Malley, M. - "Survivors' reactions to layoffs: We get by with a little help for our friends" (Refereed) - Administrative Science Quarterly - 1987 - v. 32, no. 4, pp. 526-541 [View publication] [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R. - "Business Ethics in the Academic World" (Refereed) - Corporate Social Responsibility Workshop - 2003
- DeWitt, R. - "Building blocks for leadership accomplishment" - Women's Leadership Conference, Human Resource Development Center - 2000
Book, Chapter in Scholarly Book-New
- DeWitt, R.; Gonzalez Leon, A. - (Forthcoming) "Successful Family Business Ownership Transitions: Leveraging Tacit Knowledge" (Refereed) - Edward Elgar - 2014 - pp. 88-109 ,
- DeWitt, R.; cristina, a. - (Forthcoming) "The Role of Experience and Socio-Emotional Wealth in Business Continuity" (Refereed) - Edward Elgar - 2014 - pp. 27-32 , [View publication]
- DeWitt, R. - "Good Downsizing" (Refereed) - "Downsizing: Is Less Still More?"/Cambridge University Press - 2012 - pp. 326-355 ,
- DeWitt, R.; Harrigan, K. R. - "Leveraging Old Economy Fundamentals for the New World" - Pushing the Digital Frontier - 2001 - pp. 49-58 ,
- DeWitt, R.; Harrigan, K. R.; Newman, W. H. - "Downsizing strategically" (Refereed) - Advances in applied business strategy - 1998 - v. 5, pp. 21-36 ,
- Thomas, J. B.; DeWitt, R. - "Strategic alignment research and practice: A review and agenda" (Refereed) - Strategic Alignment in Practice/Oxford University Press - 1996 - pp. 385-403 ,
Written Case with Instructional Material
- DeWitt, R. - "Is It a Business or Way of Life? (Revised)" - University of Vermont - 2006 [Show/Hide Abstract]
- DeWitt, R.; Simko, S. - "American Education Corporation (A)" - 2000
- DeWitt, R.; Simko, S. - "The K-12 Educational Software Industry and Competitor Note" - 2000
- DeWitt, R. - "Wells Fargo & Company: Brand New Opportunities" - 1999
- DeWitt, R.; Mollica, K. A.; Trevino, L. K. - "Report to GPU Help Employees Team on GPU Employee Readiness For Change" - GPU - 1995
- DeWitt, R.; Vicere, A. A.; Freeman, V. T.; Cavinato, J. L. - "Issues in Rshaping AMC" - Army Materiel Command - 1993
- DeWitt, R. - "A stakeholder perspective on restructuring performance" - 2006
- Auletta, N.; DeWitt, R.; Parada, M.; Sharma, P.; Yusof, M. - "How Are Entrepreneurial Family Businesses Sustained Over Time?" - 2014 - pp. 3-11 [View publication]
- DeWitt, R.; Ifshin, A. W. - (Forthcoming) "DLC Management: Securing Its Future" (Refereed) - Case Research Journal/NACRA - 2013 - v. 33, no. 2, pp. 109-136 [Show/Hide Abstract]