Family Business Awards
Family businesses are a major driver in the world economy. What may often start as an idea in the home, with determination and innovation grows into a business built to last. The University of Vermont School of Business Administration would like to recognize those alumni and Vermont based businesses that have overcome the challenges of succession to achieve lasting success. The University of Vermont School of Business Administration Family Business Awards seek to recognize and celebrate University of Vermont alumni’s family owned businesses that have demonstrated a commitment to creating sustainable business through leadership and innovation.
The 2013 UVM Family Business Awards will be held during UVM Homecoming Weekend, on October 4, 2013 from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. in the Livak Ballroom at the UVM Davis Center.
About the Awards
Businesses will be recognized in four categories:
- 1st Gen: UVM graduate led start-up or purchased firms with multiple family members in ownership or operations.
- Multi-Gen - US Based Enterprise: UVM graduate led firm that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- Multi-Gen - Global Enterprise: UVM graduate led firm that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- Vermont Legacy Achievement Award: Vermont based family business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success.
Businesses will be judged on the financial success of the company, governance structures in family and in business, contributions to the community and industry and innovative business practices or strategies.
Who Can Be Nominated
Any privately held family-owned enterprises, with multiple family members involved in ownership and/or management of the enterprise.
- For 1st Generation and Multi-Generational awards the ownership of the enterprise must be tied to an alumni of the University of Vermont
- Vermont Legacy Achievement Award is open to ALL Vermont-based family enterprises
Who Can Nominate?
Nominations can be submitted by the company (self-nominations) or by associated parties.
The judging panel will evaluate the nominations and select the winners based on the following criteria:
- Financial success of the company
- Governance structures in family and in business
- Contributions to the community and industry
- Innovative business practices or strategies
- Michael Seaver - Vermont President, People's United Bank, Vermont
- John Hall ('85) - Chief Operating Officer, Rachael Ray, Inc.
- Richard Luff ('90) - Sagamore Golf Inc., Winner, 2012 UVM Family Business Multi-Gen Award
- Michael Rainville - Maple Landmark, Winner of the 2012 Vermont Legacy Achievement Award
- Stephen Ifshin ('58) - DLC Management, Winner of the 2012 UVM Family Business 1st Gen Award
- Pramodita Sharma - Sanders Professor for Family Business, UVM School of Business Administration (non-voting chair)
View pictures, videos and more from previous Family Business Awards.
For any questions about the Family Business Awards please email email@example.com
Last modified September 03 2013 12:18 PM