Family Business Awards
Family businesses are a major driver in the world economy. What may often start as an idea in the home, with determination and innovation grows into a business built to last. The University of Vermont Grossman School of Business would like to recognize those alumni and Vermont based businesses that have overcome the challenges of succession to achieve lasting success. The University of Vermont Grossman School of Business Family Business Awards seek to recognize and celebrate University of Vermont alumni’s family owned businesses that have demonstrated a commitment to creating sustainable business through leadership and innovation.
The 2015 UVM Family Business Awards will be held on October 30, 2015 (Friday), 2:00-4:00pm in Waterman Memorial Lounge
About the UVM FB Awards
Businesses will be recognized in four categories. Applicants must either be businesses based in Vermont OR out-of-state businesses run by UVMs alumni.
- 1st Gen: Start-up or purchased firms with multiple family members in ownership or operations.
- Multi-Gen - US Based Enterprise that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- Multi-Gen - Global Enterprise that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- Vermont Legacy Achievement Award: Vermont based family business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success.
Who Can Be Nominated
Any privately held family-owned enterprises, with multiple family members involved in ownership and/or management of the enterprise.
Who Can Nominate?
Nominations can be submitted by the company (self-nominations) or by associated parties.
The judging panel will evaluate the nominations and select the winners based on the following criteria:
- Financial success of the company
- Governance of the family and the business
- Contributions to the community and industry
- Innovative business practices or strategies
- Carlos Enrique Cavelier Lozano ('83) - Alqueria Dairy, 2014 Multi-Gen Global Business Award Winner
- Mark DeMichaelis ('87) - State Garden and Olivia's Organics, 2013 UVM Family Business Multi- Gen Award Winner
- James Lehouiller ('93) - Dileonardo International, 2013 UVM Family Business Global Multi- Gen Award Winner
- Emma Marvin - Butternut Mountain Farm, 2014 Multi-Gen US Based Award Winner
- Thomas Wheeler ('77) - A.W. Brown's Pet and Garden, 2013 UVM Family Business 1st Gen Award Winner
- Karen Galfetti Zecchinelli ('84) - Wayside Restaurant, 2014 VT Legacy Achievement Award Winner
- Pramodita Sharma - Sanders Professor for Family Business, UVM School of Business Administration (non-voting chair)
1st GENERATION FAMILY FIRM: Start-up or purchased firm with multiple family members in ownership or operations.
- 2013: A.W. Brown Pet & Garden Store, East Longmeadow, MA
- 2012: DLC Management Corporation, Tarrytown, NY
MULTI-GEN US BASED FIRMS: Family firms that have completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- 2014: Butternut Mountain Farm, Morrisville, VT
- 2013: State Garden Inc. / Olivia's Organics, Chelsea, MA
- 2012: Sagamore Golf, North Hampton, NH
MULTI-GEN GLOBAL ENTERPRISE: Family firms that have completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
VERMONT LEGACY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: Vermont based family business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success -
- 2014: Wayside Restaurant, Montpelier, VT
- 2013: Dakin Farms, Ferrisburg, VT
- 2012: Maple Landmark Inc., Middlebury, VT
View pictures, videos and more from previous Family Business Awards.
For any questions about the Family Business Awards please email email@example.com
Last modified October 05 2015 01:28 PM