Resources for Current Students
Degree Requirements: Rules and Regulations
- 120 hours are required to receive a degree from the College of Arts and Sciences.
- 96 hours of College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) credit are required as part of the degree except where students elect an approved Minor offered by another school or college within UVM. In this case, 84 hours of CAS are now required.
- 30 out of the last 45 credits toward your degree must be completed at UVM.
- Only 8 hours of Military Studies may be applied toward the degree and will count as hours outside CAS.
- Cumulative, Major, and Minor GPAs must be at least a 2.00 in order to graduate.
- 6 courses may be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis starting at the beginning of Sophomore year and may only be used for free electives.
University-Wide Diversity Requirement
- Complete one 3-credit course in Diversity 1 (D1): Race and Racism in the U.S.
- Complete one additional 3-credit course in Diversity 2 (D2): Human and Societal Diversity. One 3-credit course that fills the CAS Non-European general requirement MAY ALSO fill the University D2 requirement. For a list of course that satisfy both, see the BA or BS Distribution Checklists below.
CAS General/Distribution Requirements
- B.A. Distribution Checklist (Current Academic Year)
- B.S. Distribution Checklist (Current Academic Year)
- Distribution Checklist Archive (starting 2003-04; for earlier years refer to UVM Catalog)
- The Dean's Office suggests that students officially declare their major and minor by the end of the sophomore year.
- Substitutions for major or minor requirements are sometimes acceptable. The Dean's Office must receive written approval from the Chair of the Department for each substitution.
- No more than 45 hours are allowed in the major field for BA candidates.
- No more than 50 hours are allowed in the major field for BS candidates.
- The major must be chosen from offerings within the College of Arts and Sciences. The major GPA must be at least 2.0 to graduate.
- At least one-half of a student's major requirements must be taken at the University of Vermont.
- Students may pursue an Individually Designed Major in the College of Arts and Sciences with the approval of the Academic Studies Committee.
- A minor is required if you are pursuing a BA degree through the College of Arts and Sciences with only one major.
- Students pursuing a double major need not complete a minor.
- Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Music need not complete a minor, but many such students elect to complete a minor.
- The minor may be chosen either from offerings within the College of Arts and Sciences or from other UVM colleges or schools. It is the student's responsibility to consult with the corresponding college or school if the student wishes to pursue one of the minors offered outside of CAS.
- The minor GPA must be at least 2.00 to graduate.
- Only one course may overlap between the student's major and minor.
- At least one-half of a student's credits in their minor must be taken at the University of Vermont.
Last modified September 23 2014 03:49 PM