Resources for Chairs & Administrators
Guidelines for letters to external reviewers
Below is a link to a model or template for a letter to be sent to outside reviewers. While it is not a requirement that the exact wording is used, the letter does include the basic information that all reviewers should receive. For represented faculty members, please see Article 14.e.ii in the UVM-UA Agreement for additional information on choosing reviewers and a definition of "arm's length" reviewers.
Examples of material that may accompany this letter include:
- the candidate's vitae
- the candidate's one page research statement
- scholarly publications and work that is either under review or accepted for publication
- The department's (or college) criteria for assessing scholarship for promotion and tenure. Note: a copy of approved college or school RPT Guidelines must be provided to external evaluators (ref. Article 14.4, paragraph 4)
- The section of the CBA on the review of scholarship for promotion and tenure.
Please also note that the chair (or dean when there is not a chair) is responsible for the final choice of reviewers. The chair statement should also indicate:
- what materials were provided to evaluators
- the basis for selecting the evaluators
- a description of the evaluator qualifications and relationship to the candidate (For represented faculty, see Article 14 for further information on the chair statement.)
Last modified August 27 2013 05:47 PM