There are no limits here but your own.
The University of Vermont has been recognized as a public ivy and one of the nation's premier small research universities. Our size and dual teaching and research mission give students unique academic opportunities that aren't available at small schools and aren't accessible to undergraduates at large institutions. A hands-on learning approach is fundamental to our culture and courses are designed to make academic material come alive.
How UVM students rated their level of academic challenge compared to students at peer schools.
How much more likely UVM students are to have had a "practicum, internship, field experience, co-op experience or clinical assignment" by senior year than students at peer schools.
National Survey of Student Engagement
Explore our academic program further:
- Undergraduate Majors: 100 offerings with options for combining interests.
- Honors College: An exceptionally rigorous program for highest achievers.
- Research and Internships: Learning by doing working with top faculty scholars, in businesses, agencies and other settings near and far.
- Study Abroad: Programs in every corner of the globe, ranging from travel courses to year-long immersions.
Sample first-year courses:
Challenging academics come alive at UVM, as in these sample first-year seminars in the College of Arts and Sciences:
- Archeology of Frauds
- Myths and Mysteries
- Today's Russia: 91 Years in the Making
- Puzzles, Games, and Algorithms
- Robots Among Us
- From Pucks to Parliament: Canada's Cultural Landscape
- Opera's Impact
- The Presidency
- Gender and the Law
- Detecting the Detective
- Emperor and the Slave
- Deviance and Social Control
- Language and the Law: Adventures in Forensic Linguistics