University of Vermont

ask us

Getting Credit for AP, IB, CLEP, Other Courses and Exams

Advanced Placement (AP)

Credit is granted for AP exam scores of 4 or 5 in most subjects; scores of 3 are accepted in some areas. Please consult our complete AP chart (.pdf). To receive credit, either submit your official AP Score Report from the College Board with your application for admission, or once admitted/enrolled, submit your official score report from the College Board directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

If you have completed International Baccalaureate (IB) coursework and received a score of 5 or greater on higher level IB exams, you may be eligible for transfer credit (UVM does not award credit for standard level IB exams). It is not necessary to have completed the entire IB curriculum to qualify for transfer credit.

Please submit an official IB transcript along with your application for admission. Up to one year of introductory level credit may be awarded in a discipline. If you are admitted to UVM and have questions about IB credit review, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs.

College credit taken in high school

College level coursework completed in high school may be eligible for transfer credit. Coursework must be through a regionally accredited, degree-granting college or university and may be taught within a high school setting; an example of a high school-based program is the Syracuse University Project Advance Program (SUPA). Please submit all official transcripts of college coursework along with your application; transcripts will be reviewed upon admission to the university.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students taking College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams may receive transfer credit, provided a similar course of study was not attempted at the college level. The credit award depends on the year you took the exam as well as your score. A minimum score for most exams is 50 (comparable to a grade of C). To see how CLEP scores are awarded at UVM, please consult the CLEP Comparability Guide (PDF).

Credit for CLEP exams may be applied toward distribution requirements and toward total semester hours when approved by the dean of the UVM college to which you have been admitted. To receive credit, an official score report must be sent directly by the College Board to UVM's Office of Transfer Affairs. Transcripts from other institutions displaying your CLEP scores cannot be used to award credit. For information about how to order an official score report, please contact the College Board.

Credit for international post-secondary examinations

Due to the rigorous nature of some international educational systems, the following exams may also be eligible for transfer credit:

  • Advanced-Level General Certificate of Education Examinations of the British Examination Councils (A-levels)
  • German Abitur
  • Colleges d' Enseignement General et Professional (CEGEP) in Quebec, Canada: Only the second and third years of CEGEP are eligible for transfer credit; the first year is not eligible.
  • Scottish Certificate of Sixth Year Studies: Students must earn a pass of A, B, or C.

For information about receiving credit for these exams, contact the Office of Transfer Affairs.

Contact Information

If you have questions about transferring any of these types of credit before or during the application process, please contact the Office of Admissions via e-mail or phone:

Students who are admitted should contact the Office of the Registrar, Transfer Affairs directly with questions about credit transfer:

Last modified July 01 2014 02:23 PM