University of Vermont

ask us

International Entrance Requirements

  • four years of English
  • three years of mathematics (Algebra I, Algebra II and geometry (or equivalents)
  • two years of the same foreign language (American sign language meets this requirement)
  • two years of a natural or physical science, including a laboratory science
  • three years of social sciences

Course work not completed at the high school level may be fulfilled by equivalent college-level academic work. In general, one semester of college work is considered equal to one year of high school study. Any exceptions to these requirements are made on a case-by-case basis.

Applicants who need to improve their English proficiency can apply to the Global Gateway Program. Entrance requirements can be found on the International Study Center website.

Requirements and/or Recommendations by UVM Schools/Colleges

When applying to UVM, all applicants apply to one of the following seven schools or colleges. Additional entrance requirements or recommendations for each are listed here:

Agriculture and Life Sciences

Required: One year of biology and one year of chemistry for science majors

Recommended: Candidates are strongly encouraged to take one year of physics and at least one year of math beyond Algebra II (precalculus/calculus is preferred).

Arts and Sciences

Recommended: Course work across the span of liberal arts disciplines; four years of math, including trigonometry; foreign language study all four years of high school.

Note to music majors: Candidates for entry into UVM as a music major seeking the B.A. or the B.Mus. degree must complete an audition as part of the process. Auditions are required for any student who wishes to be a music major. Visit the Music Department's website for details.

Business Administration

Required: Four years of math with high achievement, including at least one year beyond Algebra II. Trigonometry, precalculus, or calculus preferred.

Education and Social Services

Recommended: One year of biology for Human Development and Family Studies and Social Work majors. Math and science course work beyond the minimum for teacher education majors.

Engineering and Mathematical Sciences

Required: Four years of math, including trigonometry or precalculus. One year of chemistry and one year of physics for all engineering majors. All other majors: two years of a laboratory-based science.

The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources

Required: One year of biology and one year of chemistry or physics. Additional year of college preparatory math beyond Algebra II.

Nursing and Health Sciences

Required: One year of biology and one year of chemistry for all majors; four years of math, including trigonometry or pre-calculus; one year of physics for athletic training and exercise and movement science majors.

Recommended: Additional science course work beyond chemistry and biology in the senior year of high school for all majors. One year of physics is recommended for radiation therapy and nuclear medicine technology majors.

Standardized testing

Official results of either the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) or the ACT (American College Test) are required of all first-year applicants. In order to have standardized test scores sent directly to the University of Vermont, please use UVM's College Board school code 3920 when registering for either the SAT or ACT examinations. SAT examinations are administered overseas by the Educational Testing Service of Princeton, N.J. You may find an SAT test location at or by calling ETS at 1-609-921-9000. You may find an ACT test location at or by calling ACT at 1-319-337-1000.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

Official test results are required of all international applicants whose first language is not English. Our minimum TOEFL iBT score for direct entry is 90, and IELTS score is 6.5. International applicants who do not meet this English language requirement should apply to the UVM Global Gateway Program.

The TOEFL is administered by the Educational Testing Service of Princeton, N.J. Please visit for more information about testing locations and to arrange for UVM to receive official test results.

UVM may also accept official results of the equivalent International English Languages Testing System (IELTS) with a band score of 6.5. For more information, please visit them online at

Note: If a student has attended a U.S. institution for three or more years, we may waive the requirement for TOEFL scores on a case-by-case basis.

Official transcripts

All international candidates must submit official transcripts of all secondary and post-secondary work, including examination results. If documents are not in English, certified English translations are necessary. For more information about international transcripts and credentials, please contact World Education Services, Bowling Green Station, P.O. Box 5087, New York, N.Y. 10274-5087. For more information about official translations, please contact University Language Services, Inc.

AP, IB, CLEP and credit for other courses/exams taken

To learn about credit given for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and other courses/exams taken in high school, visit our section on transferring other credits.

Additional help including visa needs

Our Office of International Education can assist you with visa needs and share information about clubs, organizations and services for international students at the university.

Last modified August 18 2014 09:56 PM