International applicants have completed (or will soon complete) the equivalent of secondary school will be considered first-year students. International transfer candidates have enrolled in college or university-level coursework for credit (in the U.S. or abroad). This section is for applicants who are NOT a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee or asylee. Explore the international application process:
If you are enrolling in university for the first time, please choose the Common Application. Login and be sure to add UVM to your "My Colleges" list.
If you have already attempted post-secondary coursework, please choose the Transfer Common Application. Login and be sure to add UVM to your "My Colleges" list.
$55 (U.S.) nonrefundable application fee (cash is not an accepted form of payment)
*US Pathway Program applicants must complete a different application process.
Important Codes for Applying
- UVM College Board Code: 3920
- ACT Code: 4322
- FAFSA Title IV Code: 003696
- TOEFL Code: 3920
There is no IELTS code; students taking this test should indicate the results be sent to:University of Vermont
Office of Admissions
194 South Prospect Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Official SAT or ACT test scores with writing component for first-year applicants only sent by the testing agency
Note: Beginning with applicants for January 2017, official SAT or ACT scores can be sent without the optional essay. UVM will accept SAT scores from tests prior to March 2016, as well as scores from the new SAT. Applicants are encouraged to send scores from every SAT or ACT test date in which they received a top score in each section. Final admissions decisions are based only on your highest section scores, and UVM updates applicant records each time we receive new scores.
TOEFL or IELTS Tests
All applicants whose first language is not English must send official TOEFL or IELTS test scores to the Office of Admissions. We require the scores to be sent by the testing agency directly to the Office of Admissions. Our minimum TOEFL iBT score for direct entry is 90, and IELTS score is 6.5. Students who need English language instruction prior to beginning college-level coursework, may apply to the UVM Global Gateway program (GGP). The GGP is an English language acquisition program that combines English training with university coursework. TOEFL minimum for the 1-term GGP is 80 and the IELTS minimum is 6.5. The TOEFL minimum for the 2-term GGP is 65 and the IELTS minimum is 6.0. The TOEFL minimum for the 3-term GGP is 55 and the IELTS minimum is 5.5.
Students who complete the US Pathway Program in China or Nigeria do not need a TOEFL or IELTS test score.
High School/Secondary School Information
- Official secondary school transcript in the original language, accompanied by a certified translation if not in English, and sent directly to Admissions by your secondary school. This transcript must include either a four-year American high school diploma or its equivalent for grades 9-12.
- Official university/post-secondary transcript(s) in the original language, accompanied by a certified translation if not in English, and sent directly to Admissions from each institution attended since secondary school completion
- Letter(s) of recommendation (only one is required, preferably from a current instructor)